Cedar Park, TX ordinance against backyard chickens

My Pretties

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
I've just received a warning in lieu of a citation, for having chickens for pets. We don't have a rooster, they don't fly, and most of them only warble a soft trill. Has anyone in Cedar Park successfully fought this ordinance? The neighbors who reported us are retaliating for us having reported their beagle's incessant barking who is "trained to bark." I get it, pay back. Our chickens altogether make less sounds all day than five minutes of the dog barking! I know there are quite a few people in Cedar Park with less than 1 acre yards with chickens. I'd like to know how to fight this, if possible. Our chickens are all named, come to me, ride on my shoulder. The coop is vacuumed daily and is on a chicken tractor that is moved each morning to another spot in our backyard. They never fly over the fence and do nothing to be annoying. With no rooster, we obviously can't run a business raising chickens. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I believe there are few problems in life that cannot be resolved with a few well-aimed blows.....
wink.png

There are actually two petitions, one only has 17 and one has more and I can't find it! After being at the city council meeting last week I believe the petition is not as effective as sending a personal email. I have all the city council and mayor's email address. We need to approach them from the point of one chicken does NOT need an acre of land! That is what we are trying to change. Chickens live in cages all over the world, which we all obviously hate and is why we have backyard chickens. But, a WHOLE acre?? Why can we have two or three dogs plus cats in our homes with small lots, but a little bitty animal needs so much land to own. Dogs make more stink and flies than a couple chickens! If we can get CP to change the ordinance that it is the RIGHT of a Cedar Park citizen to have chickens to lead a sustainable lifestyle providing for their families, then HOA bylaws cannot prohibit (I was told this, not confirmed yet) chickens. Until the mayor hears more people voicing the desire to have chickens he has tabled the request. The nuisance ordinance that covers smells, noise, trespassing animals that escape they enclosures, covers over 30 other municipalities that I have researched that allow for small flocks of chickens. Animal control will have less work if they are not called out for "evil chicken sightings (not noise problems)." Then can concentrate on barking dogs, dogs in packs, etc. This is all the email addresses to just copy/paste into your email box. Please send them a message! [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; THANK YOU!

Congrats on the progress thus far. I live a few blocks from City Hall and the police department in my small town. There are flocks of chickens all over town. Some one in the neighborhood has a rooster that I hear crowing. I have 28 hens that don't make a smell, noise or a nuisance in any way. The flock is composed of layers, young pullets and several old hens that will be butchered soon to make more room. I started with 2, then chicken math kicked in..........so many breeds.......so many colors! I also have 3 dogs, an Australian Shepherd, Great Pyrenees and a black Lab/Great Dane mix. I recognize that I am blessed.

Good luck in getting the mayor and city council to come to their senses and allow chickens!

Too many eggs?
th.gif
Has this goober ever heard of angel food cake? Egg custard? Crème Brulee? Deviled eggs? Pies? Cakes? Omlettes for supper?

shakes head in disbelief...........you sure have to deal with some super size dumbos............and they think us rednecks are stoopid.......
lau.gif

I feel your pain! I have similar situation with the neighbor, who reported us to the city. I'm trying to change the city ordinances where I live, but it's been a tough battle. You'll need lots of support from local city citizens and a few good spoke person to talk directly to the city councilmember, and at the same time, set up something to educate ppl about chickens.

Good luck!

I have emailed the city council member, which includes the mayor of Cedar Park at least five times now in the past week. Each time I send more supporting evidence on why chickens in the yard should be allowed, not ONE has replied. I am now approaching different newspapers here in Cedar Park to see if I can get some print on the subject. I don't plan to give up. I appreciate your comment!

I spoke with Mayor Powell today. He has put backyard chickens on the agenda for the city council meeting on August 8th at 6:30. If you would like to speak sign-in time is 6:15. This is added to the end of the agenda, but he did tell me he would call this item out of order to avoid all who may want to speak to be at the meeting until the rest of the agenda is finished. Even if you don't wish to speak, seeing a show of many people have this interest may help in changing the ordinance.

I guess it went fairly well. There were a few people, probably HOA presidents, who were there and spoke against it and another resident that basically said for chicken lovers to move to the farm or where there is acreage so we could have chickens. Three councilman would have voted for us had a vote been taken. One councilman, who hated chicken coop cleaning as a teenager said he didn't think it was a good idea. I guess he assumes we all hate taking care of our hens! Another stated chickens are gateway livestock to goats and pigs. I have a counter on that for the next meeting: If that is true, why are dogs and cats not gateway canines and felines for bobcats and coyotes? The mayor is on the fence. He tabled it for now until there is more interest generated by calls, emails, and people showing up at meetings. I'm getting prepared. Trying to find people not encumbered by HOAs who live in Cedar Park that would like to have a few yard chickens. Our HOA would vote to change. The mayor wants to waste money on a "study" polling HOAs! Thanks for asking how it went. I appreciate the interest.

Back
Top Bottom