Central Coast California

i'm in santa cruz
smile.png

I am also in San Luis Obispo California. I am trying to figure out which breeds would thrive in this area. I am also interested in the breeds that are considered an ALBC critical priority. I find it difficult to use forums in general, and am getting more and more out of touch with how the internet functions. However, I need a support system in my endeavor to start chicken farming and feel this is a good place to start. I have never raised chickens before and am finding it hard to know where to start. My boyfriend and I are interested in having both egg and meat chickens.

Am hoping to make a handful of connections with people from my region that won't mind my very rookie questions. This from a so-called country girl who doesn't even know how to use a farmer's almanac...

I am the Bridget Jones of the country life...please help
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Pm me whenever I have Delawares and Partridge Rocks and New Hampshires. I will say the Delawares are the best dual purpose American breed I have next would be my Marans then New Hampshires then Partridge Rocks and I really like crossing the Delawares with New Hampshires very nice birds.

Last edited:
Hi Guys. I'm from Paso. We are getting our first chicks this week.
ya.gif

We are doing our very best to live a sustainable lifestyle. Grow our own fruits/veggies, recycle-reduce-reuse and now our own eggs!! (rather in 18-24 weeks when the chicks are ready to lay).

Yay for the 805!!

Quote:
hi there neighbor! We also are working on the backyard farm and three R's.
smile.png
Have you harvested anything yet this year? So far we've mostly got radishes and arugala. We have collected a few blueberries too, but that lost frost/heat cycle really decimated the first crop. They're mostly recovered now though.

Hi central coasters! I am in Santa Maria.

I have some lavender Ameraucana cockrels and a bunch of random hatchery chicks 1-4 weeks old I am trying to sell if anyone is intereted. I decided to raise bantam Ameraucanas and need to make some room.

I have some silkies, EEs, buff orpingtons, a RIR. Also non hatchery black copper marans (two, 3-4 weeks old) and a pretty white bearded silkie that I hatched myself.

If you are interested and want pictures, just PM me.

Quote:
hi there neighbor! We also are working on the backyard farm and three R's.
smile.png
Have you harvested anything yet this year? So far we've mostly got radishes and arugala. We have collected a few blueberries too, but that lost frost/heat cycle really decimated the first crop. They're mostly recovered now though.

So far, just artichokes. We just bought our place a year ago and are still planting our garden. This year we are growing okra, tomatos (of course), carrots, habaneros, trinidad scorpion peppers (the husband's project), spinach, radishes, lettuce, watermelon and pumpkins. Exciting!! We just have to work on keeping the chickens out of the garden.

If anyone on the central coast is interested in gardens, seed swapping, or sharing extra produce, check out this website http://seedswap.webs.com/
It
doesn't seem to get too much action yet, but the thought is good. I'm hoping people start to use it more.

Angie

Back
Top Bottom