Chain link dog kennel for chicken run enclosure ?

Hi, Here is my variation on the chain link run. Construction site fencing I bought off craigs list for $10.00 per 6' x 10' section.
Erik

69010_coop-_run_roof_framing_001.jpg

69010_coop-_run_roof_framing_004.jpg

I scored a dog kennel from craigslist and use some of those panels with the other panels we had lying around to create a 12' x 20' outdoor run for the ladies. It is amazingly easy to work with, and very handy. I can easily break it down and put it on the other side of the coop if I want to - but I won't do that, I'll just configure a second run on the other side.
tongue.png
Meanwhile, we're working on predator proofing it as well, so these photos come at a good time! The ladies LOVE their new space.

Hello All.

The house I just bought, had a professional dog kennel built. The chain link was sunk into the pad of concrete that was poured in that part of the yard. So in addition to adding small hardware cloth the first 30 inches up, the bottom should be pretty secure. The top is open as most dog runs are. However, it is only 5 feet tall, so I was thinking I'd like to make a gabled style roof, so I don't have to duck when I go in there.

I've seen kits that have glavanized supports to make gabled roofs with a sunshade.
Any idea where I might get just the metal pieces? I plan on attaching corrugated metal roofing for a more permanent and attractive roofing solution as well as making sure any gaps are thoroughly closed with hardware cloth.

Oh, I might add that I will be adding several inches of substrate. I was instructed by a local woman who runs a hatchery sand would be the most ideal to use as the substrate on top of the concrete pad? (I plan on using sections from wood pallets on the edges to prevent sand or soil or whatever substrate I use from falling thru the chain link and hardware cloth sides).

Also, I want the substrate to be easy to clean, as I'd like to keep things looking as tidy as possible.

Thanks,
Melissa

Hello All.

The house I just bought, had a professional dog kennel built. The chain link was sunk into the pad of concrete that was poured in that part of the yard. So in addition to adding small hardware cloth the first 30 inches up, the bottom should be pretty secure. The top is open as most dog runs are. However, it is only 5 feet tall, so I was thinking I'd like to make a gabled style roof, so I don't have to duck when I go in there.

I've seen kits that have glavanized supports to make gabled roofs with a sunshade.
Any idea where I might get just the metal pieces? I plan on attaching corrugated metal roofing for a more permanent and attractive roofing solution as well as making sure any gaps are thoroughly closed with hardware cloth.

Oh, I might add that I will be adding several inches of substrate. I was instructed by a local woman who runs a hatchery sand would be the most ideal to use as the substrate on top of the concrete pad? (I plan on using sections from wood pallets on the edges to prevent sand or soil or whatever substrate I use from falling thru the chain link and hardware cloth sides).

Also, I want the substrate to be easy to clean, as I'd like to keep things looking as tidy as possible.

Thanks,
Melissa

EggCellent......
pop.gif
caf.gif
An excellent substrate is plain old washed river sand with varying sized grains it wont compact and water flows right through it so it wont stay wet for long. What is the foot print of your enclosure.... Um. er... How wide and how long. There are a couple of things you can do for a roof. Believe it or not plain old tarps work well. I use Dog Kennel panels for the roof as well then put a tarp over the top of those.

But if you are in a snow area you probably need a peaked roof that is pretty sturdy too. So that would probably exclude one of those car shelters made of steel tubing. There is a neighbor here that put corrugated tin on his.

deb

can you cut out a section of the fence out by the small chicken door so they can go right into the run? I found a 10x10 for 150 on CL, but I have to talk husband into going to get it. I am only worried about hawks b/c we have a 6' privacy fence and they will be in the coop at night.

We have a 10x10 kennel, with layers of chicken wire around the bottom and covering the top for extra protection. We simply move it around the yard with moving dollies! Takes 2 people but keeps the chicken wire and kennel fence link on the ground.

I had a similar idea, but thought the guage was too big... so was going to wrap the bottom couple of feet with a tighter guage- what do you all use to do this?
also, what run size do you think is good for 6 large hens?... they will also get open yard time- but if we go away for a couple of days, I want them contained for easy care and worry free for the caretaker, without being unhealthy for the gals.
Is there a rule of thumb of "so many feet/ chicken?"
thanks.

Back
Top Bottom