Chain-link dog kennels for run?

itsmaddiejohnson

Chirping
Sep 14, 2020
Central Florida
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade my 4 silkie girls' run. I came across chain link fences. More specifically, chain link dog kennels.

1) Any recommendations for chain link dog kennels? (Links/websites would be very helpful)
2) What should I do about the open top? Any ideas for covering it? (Also, I live in FL so there's constantly rain)
I would build my own chicken run but I feel that these chain link fences are sturdier and cheaper than if I were to build my own. Additionally, I plan to line the interior of the kennel with hardcloth wire so predators won't be able to grab my girls.

TIA for your recommendations and advice! :)

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade my 4 silkie girls' run. I came across chain link fences. More specifically, chain link dog kennels.

1) Any recommendations for chain link dog kennels? (Links/websites would be very helpful)
2) What should I do about the open top? Any ideas for covering it? (Also, I live in FL so there's constantly rain)
I would build my own chicken run but I feel that these chain link fences are sturdier and cheaper than if I were to build my own. Additionally, I plan to line the interior of the kennel with hardcloth wire so predators won't be able to grab my girls.

TIA for your recommendations and advice! :)
The holes in a chainlink fence, unless you have a non standard type are too large to keep the smaller pests and predators out.
I don't know what predators you have but a weasel will go through standard chainlink easily.
One really needs half inch or less hole size mesh to keep everything out. Better still, half inch mesh on a heavyweight stock net to give better dog protection.

Hi there!
We converted a dog kennel (+ a few extra panels) into a 10ft by 20ft run for our ducks, chickens, and geese.

Here are some pictures of the process. I'm happy to share more details on how I designed it and what materials we used.

We've had it for a few years now, and it's been fantastic.

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_9878.jpeg

IMG_2015.jpeg

I got my chain linked fence from a friend. But see many on Facebook marketplace. I put a tin roof over it then added chicken wire to the outside to make sure nothing could get in and they couldnt get out. I still have a little work to do. Ill get some new pictures as i havent updated them since i did most of the work. We put tarps up in the winter to.
Messenger Kids_creation_113499118.jpeg

Hi there!
We converted a dog kennel (+ a few extra panels) into a 10ft by 20ft run for our ducks, chickens, and geese.

Here are some pictures of the process. I'm happy to share more details on how I designed it and what materials we used.

We've had it for a few years now, and it's been fantastic.

View attachment 3528975
View attachment 3528977

View attachment 3528978
Hi K2goatsandducks, would it be possible to show me some pictures how you attached the wood framing to the chainlink panels please?? Name of the hardware used? We get 30-50 mph winds here and my husband is saying that it can't be done. I think he just doesn't want to help me lol. Our coop is up against the neighbors fence and is semi protected from the wind by their coop and trees. He only built a 5 foot chainlink fence and we've had bird netting for years but the hawks and racoons keep getting in.
Your roof looks very cleanly done. Thank you

Hi K2goatsandducks, would it be possible to show me some pictures how you attached the wood framing to the chainlink panels please?? Name of the hardware used? We get 30-50 mph winds here and my husband is saying that it can't be done. I think he just doesn't want to help me lol. Our coop is up against the neighbors fence and is semi protected from the wind by their coop and trees. He only built a 5 foot chainlink fence and we've had bird netting for years but the hawks and racoons keep getting in.
Your roof looks very cleanly done. Thank you
Sure thing!!
I got metal pipe straps and used them to attach the wood frame to the top of the chain link. Then I used hurricane ties to attach the rafters to that frame.
I used 4 x 4‘s with extra 2 x 4 blocks on the front side and just two by fours on the backside to give the roof some slope for water runoff.

We’ve had some really big winds, and because the run is open on all sides the wind just goes through and doesn’t give it any lift.
I did tarp the back side once (to try and keep some rain out) and it ended up turning the run into a sail. Even with that, though, the wind only moved it a couple feet and the chain-link stayed attached to the roof. Since then we have put in ground anchors strapped around the chain link panels to hold it in place.

Here is the link to the pipe straps: 4-Pack 1-in to Galvanized 2-hole Pipe Strap https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-4-Pack-1-in-Galvanized-2-hole-Pipe-Strap/1001120472

You just have to make sure to get the right size for your chain-link frame diameter. If you put several on there, that sucker shouldn’t go anywhere.

Here are some pictures to help. Let me know if you want more! I’m going to work on writing up a piece as soon as I have the time.

IMG_4941.jpeg
IMG_4940.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom