Chantecler Breeder and Owner Database Project

Klorinth

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have started to collect a list of all the flocks currently in existence. I will be working in collaboration with Rare Breeds Canada on this project to collect as much information regarding the true number of Chantecler in the world. This project is also being done on behalf of Chantecler Fanciers International.

In order to do this I need all of your help. So I am most humbly asking if everyone that owns Chantecler (all types) could please sign on this thread. Please feel free to add any information you wish including types, numbers, sources (bloodlines), and if you sell them.

If there is any information regarding your flock that you would like to have included but do not wish to post here please PM or email me. Any information sent by PM or email will be kept private unless directed by you. If you know of flocks that are not on this site then please add those. BUT, if you are going to add any personal information regarding those, PLEASE email the information to me, do not post it unless you have asked them.

The more detail regarding your birds the better. The more information we are able to collect the more that can be done with it. Part of the reason for doing this is to improve the chances of preservation. Having information about many different flocks and bloodlines will make it easier to improve the confirmation and productivity of the breed into the future.

These are my long term hopes for this project.

Many thanks to everyone.

------------------
Moderators,
I forgot I already posted here.
If this post constitutes double posting then I am very sorry and fully expect that it would be removed from the forum. Please accept my apologies.

Last edited:
I purchased a variety of chicks from Cackle in the Happy Cackle Special. It came with 10 rare chicks , and I ended up with 4 White Chanteclers. I was very surprised since the site says they'r sold out for 2013. I did order back in the begining of February and the chicks came in April.
You will have to let us know how they do. You might be one of the lucky ones from this year.
smile.png

We had so many setbacks because of the weather that our breeding pens were set up 2 months later than I had hoped. We do have quite a few chicks on the ground and coming up, but it appears everything planned is spoken for right now here.

Myself, along with a very few others, were the first to import the Whites into the U.S. just 3 short years ago. Greg Oakes provided the seed stock for those, so right now most everything in the country of Canadian origin (so far as I know) derives from his lines. I am planning on bringing in birds that trace back to original Oka stock in 2014. It has been confirmed, we just have to work on the logisitics of getting them out of Quebec.

Right on, that needs to be emphasized, often, two excellent breeds, well worth keeping in their own right. Albertans and Chanteclers. It is very unfortunate that the American Poultry Association for whatever ill-advised notion lumped them together. It makes about as much sense as lumping Belgian and Percheron draft horses as the same breed.

Its something that needs to be corrected. This is a good place to start.

The Chantecler is a winter hardy dual purpose White breed developed by a Monk in Quebec, and the Albertan is a winter hardy dual purpose Partridge breed developed by the University in Alberta and were named then as the Albertan. Its pretty simple.

Last time I checked, which I admit was 3-4 years ago, Chantecler Fanciers International kept their breeder list private, you had to be a club member (dues paying) in order to see the list.

I was happy when this thread appeared, thinking that there might be a public list as a result. Unfortunately, the thread starter seems to have disappeared (only one post in the last three years or so).
Yes, I think he disappeared, but the thread lives on. And, yes, you do have to be a dues paying member to see the breeders list with CFI. I stuck with them for 3 years, and promoted them and was active on the forum. The secretary is in the same state, and actually helped me get my first birds. He is very controlling, and actually deletes forum posts he doesn't agree with. One thing he doesn't agree with is breeding for dual purpose. He is very adamant that CFI is a show only club. Very confusing to me.

I did not write that BYC is frivolous. What I did write is that there is " so much irrelevant gibberish that has very little value as relates to poultry keeping and etc". You referenced it yourself in the above post. I don't show any longer, and I keep birds for practical reasons. In addition I enjoy the challenge of breeding to standard for improvement and in some cases for color variety development. I have Black Chanteclers and Buff Columbian Chanteclers and Blue Buff Columbian Chanteclers. I do not generally sell or swap birds, and I am very adverse to those that want to develop to market color varieties that are not of quality and do not breed true. The prices that some are asking and many unsuspecting novices are paying is unethical and nonsense.
I have never had a live chicken in my house (other than a chick) and have never held one on my lap to pet it.
I do not condemn anyone for coming to BYC. There is much information of value here for a novice. I do not look down my nose at individuals due to their ignorance of facts, but I do find certain behavior and writing to be of little or no value from my point of view.
Each individual has their own perspective about things, and although I may not always agree with it I attempt not to condemn it.

Thanks for the info on the Birch Run show, I didnt realize it was a national show, so I am sure John Blehm will be there and showing. I will put it on my calendar.

I have been keeping and breeding chickens for over 50 years, for the keeping its over 60 years, and I pick up new info on BYC weekly, but its not from following one thread only.

Yes, there are what look like foolish threads, but, 60 years ago I would have treasured being able to read such. We need to cut a lot of slack for newbies who post, we were such once too.

I appreciate the input on BYC, and the links to National Organizations.

I will be joining the national Chantecler organization, we need to belong to and support the associations of our breeds. I donot like the focus of the breed orgs on shows, but, frankly the shows are the best advertising available to breeds, the problem that I see with shows is they concentrate on looks and not production factors which have little show value.

I am working with four breeds of full size chickens this year, and I will be comparing them in egg production, and meat production, as well as hardiness and temperament. NO show value traits although all four are attractive breeds. My interest is in breeds that are hardy in my northern MI climate and produce well as home flock/homestead breeds.

I do want to add the White Chantecler next year, as well as another, probably the Rose Comb Rhode Island Red, my grandmothers breed that I was introduced to over 65 years ago. I am hoping to introduce other youngsters to all of my breeds this year and in years to come, and maybe some of them will show up here to question, and to contribute.

Happy Hatching Season to all !

Jake

I dont know how they will do in Texas, they are a breed developed for cold climates and have feathering to match, also combs which are very small and wont dissipate body heat like the large single combed breeds have.

Egg production is excellent, and temperament, but I wouldnt expect them to do as well in Texas as other breeds selected for hot weather.

they will lay any where fine .. people say some breeds don't do well in different climates like silkies people say they don't do well in the cold but they do fine ... they can adapt to any weather ... i only have a partridge chantecler rooster thats it and he doesn't really like the cold very much

We have three white hens, two buff hens (had for two years) and just got a young white cockerel who was purchased from Cackle. We will be able to offer hatching eggs or chicks next year.

It's pretty easy to follow you around!!
lau.gif
gig.gif

You may well buy better birds than mine but you won't likely get FREE .............delivery.
hugs.gif
love.gif
celebrate.gif
Hi Hellbender!!
I wasn't looking for breeders, I was just researching bloodlines and trying to throw a loop around how many there were in North America and how related to each other they all were. It's what I do with every breed I have ever had. I figure it's a nice thing to know how the gene pool stacks up, smile.
VBG,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom