Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Quote:
That's too funny.
lau.gif
Sorry to hear of your "troubles" CC.
hugs.gif
None of my girls have even thought about going broody on me yet. I sure hope they don't anytime soon.
fl.gif

Quote:
I'm not intentionally breeding my chantecler with my orpingtons but it has been happening. I have one black chick that was black orp x partridge chantecler. Its black with a cushion comb. Actually, right now it has faint brown tips to it's wings. I also have a dorking x chantecler. 5 toes and cushion comb. Had to keep that one too!

Quote:
Thanks redman34, that description helps. Also thanks for the reason why pinched in the back is a fault. It always helps me to know the functional reason behind the standards.

I am hopefully picking up some Chanteclers this summer. They are the white ones. I seen them in a local heritage town and then found out they sell chicks so I am on the "List". It's nice to be able to have a few chickens that were developped in my own country
smile.png

Quote:
I'm not intentionally breeding my chantecler with my orpingtons but it has been happening. I have one black chick that was black orp x partridge chantecler. Its black with a cushion comb. Actually, right now it has faint brown tips to it's wings. I also have a dorking x chantecler. 5 toes and cushion comb. Had to keep that one too!

I have also been working on the Black Chante, using my roo Goliath (there are pics of him on here somewhere) and also a Columbian Chante, using a ginormous Australian Light Sussex. both have been some of the fastest growing chicks I've ever seen, but completely soft feathered, and the white skin is winning...it's still early in the game.

Quote:
Chanteclers do alright in warmer temperatures, you just have to give them some shade, where they can cool off some.

What would we get with a Chanteclere x Black Giant cross? Skin color would be right. Size would be good. Would have to work at type. The cushion comb is dominate, so that should not be an issue.

As far as how the Chanteceler handles warm climates. We are in the top of planting zone 8. Our Chantecler do very well here. No heat issues at all.

Ideal Poultry is in a very warm area of Texas. They have Partridge, Buff and Red Chanteclers. All would have to do well in the hot Texas summers or they would not have any breeders in the fall.

Quote:
I love this color I hope she stays the same too......... all are beautiful birds and I may get me some next year to replace my freezer camp roo's and extra pullets.

Quote:
Thanks redman34, that description helps. Also thanks for the reason why pinched in the back is a fault. It always helps me to know the functional reason behind the standards.

Just my two cents, but "pinched" is generally used to define a tail that is best described visually as looking pinched at the tip. Here is a link from the Dominique Thread with some examples: Pinched vs Not Pinched.

The boyfriend found on page 30 of the SOP, under Cutting for Defects - Breed Shape (tail section): "Pinched or gamey in all breeds except Modern games,
Cornish and Malayans is a .5 to 2 point cut."

Either way, our Chantecler's problem is that he has to much narrowing from his broadest point to tail - but he is already in a breeding pen that will hopefully throw some deeply built birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
I guess he doesn't like his picture taken too much hehe
he is absolutely gorgeous, I would guard him with my life, wish you were closer I would love some of his babies...........

Back
Top Bottom