Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Quote:
I bought Partridge Chanteclers from Ideal three years ago in June, and am getting more at the end of this month. I have also purchased some from Sandhill, and hatched out some myself. They are a breed that takes a good long time to mature. As for size, our Ideal birds had some small and some much larger. It will be interesting to see if they are the same in this next shipment.

The birds personalities are great...very friendly, come when called. They love to play in show and puddles. Roosters are sweethearts.

I love your crele rooster. What a Beauty!

p.s. the birds laid well all winter, and since last fall the eggs were noticibly larger. I will say though, that even if they act broody, don't believe it! Give the eggs to a breed that is motherly if you want them to hatch and thrive.

That's good to know. Though I still wonder. Clover and I bought chicks from the same BYCer and they're still TINY. I thought they were bantam for sure. They just don't really seem to get much larger at all. I really hope it's just that they're slow growers!

Quote:
Mine are finally getting bigger than the bantam Favs and Ameraucanas that they live with....

I think I'm gonna post some pics later. See if mine are at all comparable. Oh and you should totally come over or we could meet up for lunch sometime. I was in the coop trying to find my wedding rings when you said you were in OC.

Quote:
Mine are finally getting bigger than the bantam Favs and Ameraucanas that they live with....

I think I'm gonna post some pics later. See if mine are at all comparable. Oh and you should totally come over or we could meet up for lunch sometime. I was in the coop trying to find my wedding rings when you said you were in OC.

That doesn't sound good....I hope the birds didn't eat them!!

Yeah, DS goes to Carus, so I'm out that way every day...
smile.png
Even coffee (ok, TEA, since I don't drink coffee any more) or something would be great...
big_smile.png

Quote:

That doesn't sound good....I hope the birds didn't eat them!!

Yeah, DS goes to Carus, so I'm out that way every day...
smile.png
Even coffee (ok, TEA, since I don't drink coffee any more) or something would be great...
big_smile.png

No I use hay and they fell to the bottom but I had to sift through all that bedding
hmm.png
which really wasn't that bad as I was going to turn it over anyway. I'm really excited about this buff fav project. I think it could be perfect. It may just have completely rounded out and summed up the direction I want to go with my mixed flock!

I got a few decent pics of my partridge chanteclers yesterday but need to find my card reader for my laptop. Will post later tonight I hope!

I am very excited! Out of eight buff chantecler eggs I got from ShelleyB, six made it to hatching! Five are out and the last one is has pipped! Very robust little chicks!

Quote:
Awesome awesome awesome!!!!! Congrats to you! Good job with the incubation! You deserve a big kudos yourself!!!!
hugs.gif
I was looking at some of my youngsters today and was VERY happy with how their buff color is coming in. They're a nice even buff throughout their bodies...very pretty.
love.gif

Shelley, the last one hatched not too long ago. A successful hatch starts with a good egg, and the ones you sent were beautiful! I bet I would have had another hatch, however, my butterfingers led to one getting dropped while I was candling it. Doh! But I am glad to have the six that hatched!

I noticed that the buff chantecler chicks are so outgoing. The australorp and maran chicks I also just hatched run away if I need to do something in the brooder. However, the little chanteclers mob my hand for head scritches and chest rubbings! If they are this friendly as new chicks, I can't wait until they are adults!

Back
Top Bottom