Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Quote:
In theory from http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm

50%
Pullets, black patterned buff (incomplete) columbian clearnecked
50% Cockerels, black patterned buff (incomplete) columbian clearnecked

When I crossed Buff and White several years ago (w/Buff Male, white female) we got males with mostly white with buff bleaching through. Females with mostly buff and white bleaching through.

If you want Buff, breed the offsping back to the Buff. If white, breed back to the white. I would suggest reading the Buff Leghorn thread. Dan Honour is really good at explaining this.

Quote:

50%

When I crossed Buff and White several years ago (w/Buff Male, white female) we got males with mostly white with buff bleaching through. Females with mostly buff and white bleaching through.

If you want Buff, breed the offsping back to the Buff. If white, breed back to the white. I would suggest reading the Buff Leghorn thread. Dan Honour is really good at explaining this.

So if I breed the female offspring back to their buff father I would get straight Buff?

Quote:

50%

So if I breed the female offspring back to their buff father I would get straight Buff?

In theory, yes. You will still have some with white feathers showing up. Even several generations later.

Sadly folks, we need someone to take over our Buff Chantecler Project. We have 4 adult females and several started birds of varying ages and gender. Would prefer the entire flock stay together. First to make an offer gets them. We are in southeast Arkansas. Would prefer not shipping as temps are too high.

The reason we are selling the Chanteclers? To make room for Lamonas and Orpingtons. We just acquired another 16 Exhibition Orpingtons. The first Lamona eggs are in the incubator. We may have found a second flock and are hoping for some eggs from them soon. We are happy with the Chantecler, just not enough room or time for them at present.

Please email me at [email protected] if interested.

I was wondering what size egg Ideals Buff and Partridge Chanteclers are laying?

And when they started laying? Around 24 weeks?

I have four day old chicks in the brooder. Really like them.

Quote:
Our Buff Chanteclers from Ideal started laying at about 24 weeks and lay on average a medium to large egg. Color and type is great, just not quite as large as they should be. Many are working on improving their size.

I am trying to decide on which color to concentrate on. For those of you who have any of them, which eggs are larger, and if you have eaten any of them, any preference on the taste of one color or the other.
I think all of the colors are beautiful, I really like the white and buff.

I need to post updated pictures of my Buff Chanty babies! Well, they don't look quite like babies. It was odd, they kind of skipped past the awkward teenage phase and at five and a half weeks, look like fully feathered, miniature versions of an adult chicken! I can't wait to be able to sex them, I have an idea who are boys, but I'm not totally sure because of their cushion combs! They are certainly so sweet still, not skiddish at all. And very bold compared to the australorp chicks I hatched with them. The chanties are always the first to investigate anything new (which often means they tend to get the most out of treats since they are first to take a peck and realize something is yummy!).

Back
Top Bottom