Chantecler Thread!

Pics
my Chante roosters have finally found a HOME...man coming to pick them up this morning. I hope he shows and don't back out. They were scheduled for the butcher Wednesday which I will have to cancell if he gets them.

Quote:
I think this guy was taken by a predator today...I found a pile of feathers that look like his and see no sign of him (nor do I hear him). Strange in that there were nearly a dozen bigger, slower, Freedom Rangers in the yard with him at the time.

This leaves me with just a single pullet of breeding quality. I think I may try the food-coloring-in-her-vent trick to see if I can single out her eggs and hatch a few. I guess it was time anyway, but I was going to wait until I had something else to go in the incubator at the same time.

Boy, that sure was a pretty roo. Sorry about your loss of your birds.

Quote:
The original Chantecler which is the White Chantecler is very rare and is not available from any hatchery at this time. Partridge Chantecler began as a separate breed but was eventual lumped in with the original chantecler based on its similarity to it. Red and buff are further offshoots. If you are looking for cold hardiness, be aware, that the breed description for chantecler is not a guarantee. Some breeders are located in warm climates where the cold hardiness traits can't be tested. Its almost impossible to breed for such an invisible trait unless you raise them in a cold climate and see how they perform. I had a whole flock of partridge chanteclers from a hatchery that were not even close to cold hardy and they were a complete failure in my climate. Get birds from a private breeder who is in your same climate that can vouch for the cold hardiness of their birds. I now have two breeding pairs of White Chantecler from Canadian stock. This will be their first winter and I'm excited to see how they fair by comparison.

Quote:
The original Chantecler which is the White Chantecler is very rare and is not available from any hatchery at this time. Partridge Chantecler began as a separate breed but was eventual lumped in with the original chantecler based on its similarity to it. Red and buff are further offshoots. If you are looking for cold hardiness, be aware, that the breed description for chantecler is not a guarantee. Some breeders are located in warm climates where the cold hardiness traits can't be tested. Its almost impossible to breed for such an invisible trait unless you raise them in a cold climate and see how they perform. I had a whole flock of partridge chanteclers from a hatchery that were not even close to cold hardy and they were a complete failure in my climate. Get birds from a private breeder who is in your same climate that can vouch for the cold hardiness of their birds. I now have two breeding pairs of White Chantecler from Canadian stock. This will be their first winter and I'm excited to see how they fair by comparison.

will you ever sell any eggs????
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I was sorting the young blue laced red Cornish project chicks today. Have a few with cushion combs. Was wondering if anybody over here is, or might be interested in working on blue partridge Chanteclers.

A splash cockerel with almost clear blue chest, so might be double laced, possibly partridge, or somewhere in between. He looks to be looser feathered than a Cornish. Should help put meat on any resulting chicks. The hens these guys are out of lay a seriously big egg. These guys are about 2&1/2 months old.

24364_dscf4586.jpg

24364_dscf4581.jpg

24364_dscf4614.jpg

And blue pullet, looks like it might also be a tweener pattern. Looser feather.
24364_dscf4619.jpg

24364_dscf4616.jpg

Back
Top Bottom