Chantecler Thread!

Pics
I went back and checked my spreadsheets. The bird in my picture started laying about a week ago. This picture is about 2 weeks old, and right after that, her comb did get a lot pinker and swelled a bit. She is 19 weeks old. Another bird from that hatch is also laying, and the other 3 are not. I was really surprised, as I didn't expect anything until later in the winter. So... no help in coming up with a typical date. My whites generally start at 6 months, but I sold a few pullets to some backyard people, and they started laying earlier than mine. Don't have the foggiest idea why.

Keep records, and over the years you might find your birds have their own start of lay dates. I do not use lights, and both my partridge and white birds are not affected much by daylight length. :rolleyes:

This time around the first egg came from one of my Buff Chanteclers at week 26.
I checked my records to be sure. It looks like almost all (or maybe all) of the new girls are laying now at week 29.
Last year it was about the same time.
They have almost no raised areas on their cushion combs. Only a few had darker combs at week 26, now they all do.

They have almost no raised areas on their cushion combs. Only a few had darker combs at week 26, now they all do.

That sounds like my girls. The exact opposite of my Anconas with their "Veronica Lake" combs. To make it easy for us to keep them straight, one flops right, the other left. Very considerate of them!
smile.png

Bruce

Apparently all you have to do is ask about what age they start to lay and you get an egg!

My daughter is presuming the egg that is between the Cubalayas' and the Australorp's in size and color is from one of the Chanteclers, which apparently squatted for her today, never has before.

So that means I now have SEVEN confirmed layers
big_smile.png

Bruce

So it looks like Cackle Hatchery has white Chanteclers listed on their site now...apparently hoping to actually have them available in 2014 so they must be a new addition and building their flock. Anyone know who they got their starter stock from?

So it looks like Cackle Hatchery has white Chanteclers listed on their site now...apparently hoping to actually have them available in 2014 so they must be a new addition and building their flock. Anyone know who they got their starter stock from?
Possibly some from us. We shipped some White Chantecler eggs to Missouri this year. It was to an individual. Most likely they have a breeder that will be selling them eggs to hatch.

That is interesting. I see on their listing, they have pictures of birds from Greg Oakes. Don't know if that means they got their stock from him, or if they are just using those pictures, I hope with permission.

There are a few of us private breeders who will have stock this coming year. I put up quite a few pictures on my flickr site, and have a link to that in my signature.

Jim, hope things are ok with you. ??

Back
Top Bottom