Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

[COLOR=000080]Yeah, good thing he is a very sweet boy and throws beautiful chicks. He is just over 3 years old now. I have been making plans to replace him because he is not getting the job done, but thanks to @minihorse927
 :hugs  for bringing this up he now gets a second chance. :thumbsup [/COLOR]

had the same issue with my old Swedish flower cock from you. Last year I started having horrible fertility. I watched him try his damndest to breed hens unsuccessfully for an hour. It dawned on me he couldn't get a grip without digging those sours into the hens. When he would try the hens would buck him off and run. Took those off and he is doing much better at fertilizing eggs

So, do y'all think maybe this may be why I have had fertility issues in his coop?

The bleeding was very slow to stop, so my DD got to practice her First Aid today.
thumbsup.gif

Yowza! My older guy's bled a bit too, but I think that's because they were so thick. I dabbed some cornstarch and they finally quit, and he went back to his business.

I know our hens are all thanking us!
big_smile.png

So, do y'all think maybe this may be why I have had fertility issues in his coop?

The bleeding was very slow to stop, so my DD got to practice her First Aid today.
thumbsup.gif

That should certainly improve the fertility. If I was a hen, I would run from him! Those are wicked!

When Ravynfallen and I did it, all I had was cornstarch and he was still oozing a little blood the next day. I'm better prepared this time because they do bleed, yet at the same time don't act like it hurts them.

had the same issue with my old Swedish flower cock from you. Last year I started having horrible fertility. I watched him try his damndest to breed hens unsuccessfully for an hour. It dawned on me he couldn't get a grip without digging those sours into the hens. When he would try the hens would buck him off and run. Took those off and he is doing much better at fertilizing eggs
Thinking about it, I bet this is the reason I was having fertility issues with my SFH for the past couple of years. The top cocks were all older with long spurs. Now that the older boys are gone there, fertility has picked up. In fact, every coop that has an older cock with long spurs has had fertility issues. I guess I need to do a better job of keeping them trimmed.

Has anyone used the ShockWatch labels when shipping eggs? Been following a thread on a FB group and they look incredibly appealing!

They are cool. I get them on the crates of glass that I order, along with little indicators that show if the crate has been laid down or tipped too far. I'm pretty sure that you can only use them on packages that you have paid extra for special handling. It's about $13 more for a 12x12 priority box of eggs. The regular priority mail gets dumped from the truck into bins and gets dumped from bins onto conveyor belts, mechanically sorted and back into bins.... A lot of dumping and tumbling with boxes that can weigh up to 70 pounds. Other than the postal workers on each end of the shipment, the boxes don't actually get handled much by humans.
What's the FB page say?

Back
Top Bottom