Chattanooga, TN (surrounding areas) CHICKEN LOVERS

Soddy Daisy/ Hixson TN area. I am just getting ready to start work on a chicken coop and hope to have my first chicks by August. I have never had chickens before but so excited to get started. I welcome all advice, been reading books and researching online for weeks now.

I have guinea keets that I hatched last Thursday... $3 each... a variety of colors.
PM me if interested...

Went to the Ooltewah Tractor supply sale Saturday and it was not well attended. Sold a couple of Light Brahma hens but didn't get anything for them. I didn't want to haul them back home and in a moment of weakness sold them for nothing. Started early that morning at the Ft Oglrthorpe TS and it went really well as all there swaps do. Guinnie foul, rabbits, lot of chickens, goats, dogs, mobile vet clinic and a lot of customers. Will give the Ooltewah another shot if they do it again. I will try to keep info up about the next sale.
Well bummer I was at Fort O until till around 12 then went to Ooltewah for a bit (because it was on the way home) & I didn't get to meet you! I do remember someone down towards the front with a couple light brahmas. Matter of fact I think the lady that bought two LF cochin pullets may ahve bought one of the brahmas.
Did really well with my Cochins @ Fort O & then only sold one for $2.00 at Ooltewah -lol. & of course the few I brought home were boys or unsexed
roll.png

Yes, the word needs to get around @ Ooltewah but the only bad thing was there were only a few canopy's they provided at Ooltewah & it was hot.

I probably won't be selling much more at these sales being I'm trying to raise a few to an older age and hopefully start selling to those that are into showing & to be honest I'm a little on the paranoid side and even though mine weren't that close to others, the few I brought home went into isolation with vitB & probiotics
wink.png

Soddy Daisy/ Hixson TN area. I am just getting ready to start work on a chicken coop and hope to have my first chicks by August. I have never had chickens before but so excited to get started. I welcome all advice, been reading books and researching online for weeks now.
Welcome Budersmom - glad to have you.
welcome-byc.gif

YES, being new do all the research you can just so you are more prepared with many of the things that will come up with chickens. Don't want to scare you by any means but I've only been in it a little over a yr. and I am enjoying every moment BUT I have come across slightly more issues than I originally thought there would be with chickens.
This website has provided a wealth of advice & information.
Don't be afraid to ask any of us about anything

Good luck with the coop, share pics when you get it done.

If you decide you want some beautiful friendly chickens, holler at me if you want some LF and/or Bantam Cochins
wink.png

I agree StacyTN. It will be difficult to make a go of it at TC OOltewah. The layout isn't vendor friendly. The FT O store is perfect. I want to help them get it going but we are going to have to give them some kind of help with the promotion and layout. I know fried chicken was a possibility in that parking lot! My poor Brahmas were ready for some shade but I did sell all of them between the 2 stores. I am going to switch to quail and just keep my layers for a while.

Thank you so much! I will give you a shout when the coop is finished and post pics! I really am excited but a little nervous too!

Thank you so much! I will give you a shout when the coop is finished and post pics! I really am excited but a little nervous too!
Oh , no need to be nervous, just do as you say and learn/reseach all you can. My husband says I just "look for boogers" but I have caught a few things that I wouldn't have known what the heck it was unless I had been so anal about learning all I could before and still do everyday.
You will find chickens do have their own personalitites and yes, some will become your favs. I get great joy and very attached to mine.
Because I've decided to concentrate on breeding nothing but COCHINS (other than having some 15 laying hens of different breeds) & striving to breed to show "standards" I am now having to let go some older ones that I've became attached to but don't fit into the program & it is very hard for me to sell them.

See perfect example right now: I got busy doing other things after work this afternoon & didn't make it up to my coops (hubbie took care of evening snack & egg collection) & although dark now, all roosting, I feel bad I didn't visit with them today, so I'll be grabbing the flashlight in a bit
love.gif

Just showing off the sign I made & yes the "HILL" is supposed to be slightly slanted, because for those that have visited me know you have to walk up the hill to get to my coops : )

Back
Top Bottom