Hamilton County, TN — Chicken Ordinance?

marateabee

Hatching
May 22, 2022
Hello! New to BYC, here.

I'm not a chicken owner yet, but I've been doing a lot of research into raising a small flock of egg-laying hens, hoping to begin. I love the idea, always wanted chickens as a kid, and I'm getting into gardening & overall being more self-sustainable in the past few years... Chickens would obviously be on the list at some point. I've got a decent-sized backyard I think they'd love. And, then I found out about the Chattanooga, TN Chicken Ordinance.

Being from a pretty rural area overall, I'm stunned that this is even a thing. I didn't even consider the possibility it could be unlawful to own chickens... unless you own 5 Acres of land?? Absolutely absurd. There was a recent news article I read in regards to it in 2022, so I'm certain it's still a ridiculous active ordinance?

Anyways, the problem here is that I don't live in Chattanooga itself, so this doesn't feel cut and dry to me. The Ordinance specifies the City of Chattanooga, so I can't tell if this even applies here. Doing a google search for my county just brings up the Chattanooga City Code Ordinance, or a completely different Hamilton County in OH.

I do plan to contact our locals for actual confirmation but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I was already planning on joining this forum in the hopes of learning from other backyard chicken owners more experienced than I am— so in the meantime, I was just curious if anyone on here has any experience with the Hamilton County, TN ordinances, or if all of Hamilton County, TN is just shoehorned into the Chattanooga City ordinances? We're in a rural area like right on the edge of the Hamilton County Border, closer to Ooltewah & Collegdale than we are to Chattanooga, so I'm hoping the latter's not the case.

Thanks much for your time!

I'll give this a bump so others who are local will chime in. (My daughter lives in Joelton, so your post caught my eye.)

I can say that city ordinances and county ordinances are quite different. What you are quoting is for those who are within the city limits of Chattanooga (lovely city btw...visited there years ago). City and county ordinances are VERY different. If you are not in the city limits, then those city ordinances do not apply, rather county ordinances do.

I live in unincorporated Washington County (Oregon), and follow County ordinances, which have no restrictions on chickens (even though I am in a suburban area). I just have to not become a nuisance.

Now if I was in the City of Beaverton, just a few streets away, I could only have 3 laying hens (if I remember correctly). Portland city, just a few streets away in another direction, ditto.

Look at your tax statement for your property. It should tell you what city, county you are in. You then call the county extension planning department to find out what the ordinances are for chickens in unincorporated (non city) parts of the county.

I did find this 2020 article which has links. It too states what you found that if you are in Chattanooga CITY LIMITS you can't have poultry unless you have 5 acres. BUT you aren't in the city limits. You are in Hamilton County proper, of which I couldn't find on google search any ordinances...which may mean the don't have any restrictions...but I'm sure someone at Hamilton County planning/zoning department knows.

LofMc

https://noogatoday.6amcity.com/backyard-chickens-rules-regulations-chattanooga-tn/

Mara, I'm in TN an hour or two from you. Pretty sure you can get as many chickens and roosters as you want and no one will care. If you are outside of city limits, I don't think you will have any restrictions. Even if you are inside city limits, it sounds like it still doesn't matter and you can get them anyway!

Hamilton County Zoning Regulations from the Hamilton County Web page - click on zoning, which opens a new tab, then click on Hamilton County.
I could find only one mention of "Animal" (in the definition for Cemetary), no mention of chicken, fowl, hen, or livestock. Nor even a definition of "Farm", though a single mention of "poultry" (permitted in Agricultural district).

You will find this language in the code, again and again:

B. Unlisted Uses
The Director of Building Inspection, in consultation with the Regional Planning
Agency staff as deemed necessary, is authorized to determine if an unlisted use is
similar in character, type or effect to the specified principal uses permitted of any
zoning district in question. Otherwise, that use shall be prohibited.

Hey there, fellow Chatt area citizen! I am just outside Chattanooga and have what I'm pretty sure are illegal chickens. At one point I found a map [I'll have to see if I can find it again] and basically the ordinance covers more so the county and so even up here almost in the soddy daisy area it isn't legal. Like you I found the whole ridiculous 5 acre agriculture thing. I do know some people who also just hope for the best and get a small flock anyways. I have mine behind our privacy fence and just 4 😮‍💨 makes chicken math hard🤣
Edited to add I really hope I read that map wrong and my neighbors couldn't ever complain and get them removed 🤞

I'm well above the amount I should have. Now, I have my speech prepared. 1) enforce other laws that are more important like drug makers and users living within a stone's throw from my house. If druggies damage my house do something. Walk away about my chickens like you did about the damaged property. Good Day officer! 2) Fireworks, self-explanatory. 3) weed control 4) Junk, junk junk cars. 5) Food security 6) Our Mayer LOVES chooks. Again, food security in these difficult times. The ordinances were written a long time ago. Times have recently become dire for food security, now should shed a different light.

I’m in Knox County TN - same thing there’s a city ordinance but nothing specific to chickens or livestock for county other than their housing… I’ve decided if anyone gives me crap, I’ll just politely tell them my chickens identity as dogs and let them try to fight me on that one…hehe

My only possible complainer has 4 large loud, seriously annoying undisciplined dogs so I don’t think they want to open that can of worms.

Hello! New to BYC, here.

I'm not a chicken owner yet, but I've been doing a lot of research into raising a small flock of egg-laying hens, hoping to begin. I love the idea, always wanted chickens as a kid, and I'm getting into gardening & overall being more self-sustainable in the past few years... Chickens would obviously be on the list at some point. I've got a decent-sized backyard I think they'd love. And, then I found out about the Chattanooga, TN Chicken Ordinance.

Being from a pretty rural area overall, I'm stunned that this is even a thing. I didn't even consider the possibility it could be unlawful to own chickens... unless you own 5 Acres of land?? Absolutely absurd. There was a recent news article I read in regards to it in 2022, so I'm certain it's still a ridiculous active ordinance?

Anyways, the problem here is that I don't live in Chattanooga itself, so this doesn't feel cut and dry to me. The Ordinance specifies the City of Chattanooga, so I can't tell if this even applies here. Doing a google search for my county just brings up the Chattanooga City Code Ordinance, or a completely different Hamilton County in OH.

I do plan to contact our locals for actual confirmation but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I was already planning on joining this forum in the hopes of learning from other backyard chicken owners more experienced than I am— so in the meantime, I was just curious if anyone on here has any experience with the Hamilton County, TN ordinances, or if all of Hamilton County, TN is just shoehorned into the Chattanooga City ordinances? We're in a rural area like right on the edge of the Hamilton County Border, closer to Ooltewah & Collegdale than we are to Chattanooga, so I'm hoping the latter's not the case.

Thanks much for your time!
I live outside of Chattanooga in Harrison. Chattanooga ordinances do not apply in the county, but other cities may have their own...

Back
Top Bottom