Lee County Florida, Changing Attitudes and Ordinances

I am sorry your neighbor is a jerk. Sounds like the roosters have a problem or they are bored.
He should be willing to speak with you to form a compromise of some sort.
Just because Lehigh is less like cape coral, doesn't give the right to say welcome to the county. Could you approach his wife (if he has one)?
They are eastern European and she speaks very little English.
I will give it another week or so then I'll have no choice but to report it as it's now stopping us enjoying our home.
If that happens he will lose his chickens as well.
His choice I just want the roosters gone.

They are eastern European and she speaks very little English.
I will give it another week or so then I'll have no choice but to report it as it's now stopping us enjoying our home.
If that happens he will lose his chickens as well.
His choice I just want the roosters gone.
I understand completely. Yes I want to change the attitude of the board members and therefore the laws. But I am not so heartless as to not understand that everyone is also effected by those as well.
He should be willing to at least figure out a way to help them crow less or find another home if he is unable too.

Hi y'all.
I started keeping chickens about 40 years ago when we lived on agricultural acreage in southeast Fort Myers. My wife and I built a house out near the northeast corner of Lehigh 30 years ago and have been flying under the radar with a small backyard flock ever since. We've been lucky. We're in sparsely populated area with neighbors that live and let live. I'm afraid things may change since they've been building like crazy out here since COVID. I quit keeping rosters years ago as we slowly got more neighbors.
I've never been involved in the ordinance battle but would certainly give it my support if there's a group working on it.
All it takes is one new resident who wants to "straighten out" the neighborhood.
You know the type. 🧐

Hi y'all.
I started keeping chickens about 40 years ago when we lived on agricultural acreage in southeast Fort Myers. My wife and I built a house out near the northeast corner of Lehigh 30 years ago and have been flying under the radar with a small backyard flock ever since. We've been lucky. We're in sparsely populated area with neighbors that live and let live. I'm afraid things may change since they've been building like crazy out here since COVID. I quit keeping rosters years ago as we slowly got more neighbors.
I've never been involved in the ordinance battle but would certainly give it my support if there's a group working on it.
All it takes is one new resident who wants to "straighten out" the neighborhood.
You know the type. 🧐
40 years?! You must have a wealth of experience and knowledge to share.
Be nice if the Karen's can stay out of others business 😆
May I message you privately? That sounds odd probably. Trying to keep this under our hats.
As a chicken owner of 40 years and a neighbor, maybe i can learn from your experiences. And maybe you'll join our research and battle. But not publicly. I don't wish for anyone to publicly join that doesn't want too.
Ok, definitely a weird response from me. I'm blaming it on the lack of sleep and the amount of research I have done lately 🙃

No expert here, by any means. I've done and am sure I still do plenty of things wrong. I manage to keep a few birds alive and collect some eggs. That's all.
Feel free to private message me. I don't know anything about what it takes to change these things, but I am interested in helping it happen.

Looking for guidance and advice on how to change attitudes and ordinances for chickens in residential areas, including unincorporated Lee County florida.
We, myself and another, are currently in research stages.
It has been tried 3 times previously. All hit a wall at some point. Fort myers has an ordinance for backyard chickens.
Has anyone been involved in helping to change your local ordinances? Doesn't need to be florida.
Are any members here that were apart of any of the previous attempts?
If anyone is local, do you live on agricultural land? Would you be interested in being a chicken rescue?
I have so many questions!
Any advice, information and guidance is welcome.
Thank you
Well, shame on me for suggesting this, but is it possible you could just get your chickens without permission? I don’t know how close your neighbors are but if you checked with them, they probably wouldn’t mind. Some breeds are quieter than others, so that would be a considerationAnd, of course, no roosters. if you have enough land, you could keep them without your neighbors, even knowing. Provided you have a fence for the chickens. I really have gotten a lot of pleasure besides delicious eggs out of my chickens and I hope you’re able to do the same! Good luck.

Would it possible to ask your mom how they approached it? What information was researched and attempted?
I know it's been tried 3 times (I think anyway) and each time it did not go through.
I want to figure out how to go over, under or around that wall.
We desperately are going to need it!
Something wicked this way comes.
Rent here is over $1800 to $2000, I shockingly learned this morning.
I know that raising a flock doesn't equal cheaper either. But it means food security. AND that is what we need.
Tell me how to help and I will help. I was flabbergasted to learn I couldn't have chickens here in Lehigh Acres I thought Florida was for freedom smh.

Back
Top Bottom