Changing the Ordinances

FrostyMilkshake

Chirping
Jun 20, 2022
USA
I find it sad that there are areas that really crack down on banning chickens, ducks, and gardens even if they are a small number or size.
I was curious to know:
1. Has anyone had personal success in changing the law/ordinances in favor for chickens, ducks, and gardens? Care to share that journey in a general way?
2. Has anyone had success in keeping annual fees away from having low numbers of chickens, ducks, and small gardens?
3. Also, what tips and suggests do you have about SUCCESSFULLY changing local law/ordinances or getting support for limited numbers of chickens, ducks, or gardens.

Thanks!

I work part time for a township, and the most successful thing you can do is go in front of the town board, with a copy of a permissive ordinance from a nearby town. Town boards are lazy, and if they can just copy something, they will.

Also, print out some these, and ask (gently) them when self-sufficiency stopped being patriotic.
https://htrchickens.com/2016/05/30/memorial-day-and-chickens/

I work part time for a township, and the most successful thing you can do is go in front of the town board, with a copy of a permissive ordinance from a nearby town. Town boards are lazy, and if they can just copy something, they will.

Also, print out some these, and ask (gently) them when self-sufficiency stopped being patriotic.
https://htrchickens.com/2016/05/30/memorial-day-and-chickens/
I did know at one time the Federal government encouraged every family to have an egg laying bird for food security. That is a nice link. Thank you. :)

Do you think a town board would be open to an ordinance layout that is from a city in another state if the layout is detailed and a good layout? I ask because it could be an easier copy and paste with less questions of "what if this scenario". Sometimes nearby towns that don't mention chickens or ducks don't say anything about them, making them allowed until someone finds a problem later, or if they are mentioned as permissible, they don't give much of a layout for them.
I found that Marion IA (Iowa) appears to have a pretty good layout in my opinion on the topic of chickens and they apply the same to ducks that perhaps towns or cities that have a full ban or are strict may be more willing to accept what Marion, IA is currently implementing.

Anything is better than nothing, but I've found stuff is WAY more likely to be rubber-stamped through with little thought if the next town over is doing it. The further away your example is, the more likely you are to get "Well, around here...."

Think about it like this; when you were a kid, your parents got tetchy if you said one of your classmates was allowed to ____. But if you could point out your sibling was doing it, that was a much better argument

looking for support and help changing the Sussex Boro NJ chicken ordinance. Towns around us have changed their laws, most recently Vernon.

We had to give up our eight chickens.. my daughter is heartbroken!

Please post your ideas and suggestions.

We also had to rehome our tiny flock. We had them for 6 years without issue and I really want to change the law. Does anyone else live in or around Broward County Florida?

Back
Top Bottom