Lee County Florida, Changing Attitudes and Ordinances

FeatherMomma

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2022
Looking for guidance and advice on how to change attitudes and ordinances for chickens in residential areas, including unincorporated Lee County florida.
We, myself and another, are currently in research stages.
It has been tried 3 times previously. All hit a wall at some point. Fort myers has an ordinance for backyard chickens.
Has anyone been involved in helping to change your local ordinances? Doesn't need to be florida.
Are any members here that were apart of any of the previous attempts?
If anyone is local, do you live on agricultural land? Would you be interested in being a chicken rescue?
I have so many questions!
Any advice, information and guidance is welcome.
Thank you

More than a decade ago my mom was interviewed on the local news as part of an effort to make backyard chickens legal in Lehigh. It was no use at the time. It's so densely packed with retirees who feel it's beneath their retirement standards in their neighborhoods. We moved to central Fl where there's lots of agricultural areas.

More than a decade ago my mom was interviewed on the local news as part of an effort to make backyard chickens legal in Lehigh. It was no use at the time. It's so densely packed with retirees who feel it's beneath their retirement standards in their neighborhoods. We moved to central Fl where there's lots of agricultural areas.
Would it possible to ask your mom how they approached it? What information was researched and attempted?
I know it's been tried 3 times (I think anyway) and each time it did not go through.
I want to figure out how to go over, under or around that wall.
We desperately are going to need it!
Something wicked this way comes.
Rent here is over $1800 to $2000, I shockingly learned this morning.
I know that raising a flock doesn't equal cheaper either. But it means food security. AND that is what we need.

Would it possible to ask your mom how they approached it? What information was researched and attempted?
I know it's been tried 3 times (I think anyway) and each time it did not go through.
I know that raising a flock doesn't equal cheaper either. But it means food security. AND that is what we need.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by information... I had 3 silkies at the time and we built them a beautiful aviary style coop. One of the other ladies involved in the effort was at every town meeting with the basic rundown on backyard chicken keeping, how it can be done well and the benefits for families.
The news segment showed our birds and asked for viewer feedback. In subsequent updates the feedback "letters" were quoted on the screen and they were nearly all negative. People thought "poultry farms were smelly" and "we don't need that noise in our retirement we worked hard for" (paraphrasing).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by information... I had 3 silkies at the time and we built them a beautiful aviary style coop. One of the other ladies involved in the effort was at every town meeting with the basic rundown on backyard chicken keeping, how it can be done well and the benefits for families.
The news segment showed our birds and asked for viewer feedback. In subsequent updates the feedback "letters" were quoted on the screen and they were nearly all negative. People thought "poultry farms were smelly" and "we don't need that noise in our retirement we worked hard for" (paraphrasing).
By information I mean benifits to owning them, and supporting research and/data.
I'm going to use and research every dang angle.
I will have to Google and find those older videos.
Thank you!

Hello from your neighbor in Naples. Just wondering are you in a gated community ?If so, even if the city allowed it, I can guarantee your neighbors would not. We were in a gated community community and know their rules. Now we live on 2 1/2 acres with no HOA. No rules and chickens chickens chickens! I wish everybody could have chickens But unfortunately, that’s not the case. If you do proceed, good luck!

Hello from your neighbor in Naples. Just wondering are you in a gated community ?If so, even if the city allowed it, I can guarantee your neighbors would not. We were in a gated community community and know their rules. Now we live on 2 1/2 acres with no HOA. No rules and chickens chickens chickens! I wish everybody could have chickens But unfortunately, that’s not the case. If you do proceed, good luck!
Hello neighbor!
Not in a gated community. I live in Lehigh, unincorporated.
I'm not stopping. I'm stubborn AND motivated.

Hello neighbor!
Not in a gated community. I live in Lehigh, unincorporated.
I'm not stopping. I'm stubborn AND motivated.
Well, shame on me for suggesting this, but is it possible you could just get your chickens without permission? I don’t know how close your neighbors are but if you checked with them, they probably wouldn’t mind. Some breeds are quieter than others, so that would be a considerationAnd, of course, no roosters. if you have enough land, you could keep them without your neighbors, even knowing. Provided you have a fence for the chickens. I really have gotten a lot of pleasure besides delicious eggs out of my chickens and I hope you’re able to do the same! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom