Chattanooga, TN (surrounding areas) CHICKEN LOVERS

StacyTN

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Ooltewah/Chattanooga, TN
Well, we'll see how this goes but I would like to start a thread here for everyone in & around the Chattanooga, TN area.

I find it's nice to know others in the more immediate area for numerous reasons: staying up-to-date on issues in the area, getting to know area breeders, selling/buying, upcoming local events, sharing knowledge etc. etc. etc.

A little about me personally (well at least when it comes to chickens/poultry etc.):

I live in Ooltewah, but actually it's more like north Harrison area. I'm actually closer to Birchwood, off HWY.58, than I am in the hub of Ooltewah.
I bought my first chickens just last summer, June. We set out just wanting a few "cute" chickens for pets and then maybe a few hens to supply us eggs. Well, 6 months later at one point we had some 54 but we are currently down to 29 BUT my plans are come late Feb. to start either letting a broody hen hatch some of our eggs or use the incubator.

Hope to get some local members to join the thread, so pass it along.
Thanks

Hey Jim! Welcome.
You need to do nothing extra to join this thread. If you'd like you can look at the top and click the "Subscribe" link and the thread will be easier to find.
I have not been to that farm before.
There are quite a few of us in the 58 hwy area, or close by. Look forward to chatting with you!
frow.gif

Hey Jim! Welcome.
You need to do nothing extra to join this thread. If you'd like you can look at the top and click the "Subscribe" link and the thread will be easier to find.
I have not been to that farm before.
There are quite a few of us in the 58 hwy area, or close by. Look forward to chatting with you!
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
, looking forward to your progress- I've had my own flock since last May. The 'bator I saw, is back on craigslist, if someone's looking for one.

Congrats to everyone on the new chicks and plans to get chicks! I just had my first ever incubator experience. I hatched 21 chicks: 6 LF bbs Orps 12 EEs and 3 OEs.

Jim H-
I don't know what kind of chickens you want but my opinion on good large brown egg layers and non-flighty is Black Sexlinks. My son raised these when he was young for the 4H chick chain. If you are not in a hurry to get chickens I would almost bet at the end of the Summer there will be 4H shows/auctions where you could pick up some nice pullets. The down side to them is since they are a sex link they will not breed true.
thumbsup.gif
woohoo, good for you on the first successful incubation experience but watch out it's highly addictive and habit forming
celebrate.gif

I just saw your craig list pics--I wish I had any room--those are some beauitful birds!
There you go JimH, perfect birds to start out with, great brown egg layers. and unlike many hybrids much less chance of prolapse.

Last edited:
frow.gif
don't know if anyone has posted it or not but there is a show in Newport this Saturday. I think its called Something to Crow About and its at the fairgrounds. I went to the one last Fall and it is not a huge show but it was nice. Just thought I wold throw it out there in case anyone is interested.

I was born and raised in Rossville, GA. right over the state line!
I'm in Nashville now, but never will forget my roots.
Can I join your forum? You guys are awesome and I'm in the Chattanooga area quite a bit since most of my family still lives there.
Of course you can join the group. Glad to have you.
Welcome welcome welcome

I'm a writer in the Chattanooga area, interested in doing a story on urban chicken farming. I'd like to find some folks currently keeping backyard chickens within city limits. All names/ location/ etc will be kept completely confidential. I'm a huge proponent of urban chickens and think this could be a really interesting/ informative story. My email is [email protected]. I'd love to hear from you. If you have any questions, do not hesitate.

Back
Top Bottom