Chattanooga, TN (surrounding areas) CHICKEN LOVERS

Anyone dealt with a blind, not sure if partial at this point, and possibly deaf chick?

I believe I've had my first one hatch out sat/sun.

Some observations of symptoms I've noticed:
  1. isn't crying out all the time or even at all (like I've read on other threads talking blind behaviors in chicks
  2. when it walks, it lowers its head and swipes it back and forth, almost like a hound dog would do when sniffing something out. It's rather unusual looking
  3. will open its eyes at times but really not that much
  4. I've yet to see it really sit, usually standing
  5. I'll dip its beak in the water (fortified with b-complex etc.mix) then place it in the middle of the brooder to observe, it's clumsy for a moment and then it will walk backwards
  6. when it's standing there I place my hand in front of it - no reaction and the same when I snap my fingers right beside it

I've been reading threads here on BYC about others that have raised blind chicks to adulthood (with much care & pampering) and that many eventually did very well in a flock or they lived out their lives in a "special needs" coop (for lack of a better way of putting it) BUT............ but can a bllind & deaf chicken thrive?

Not sure I'm ready or want to go the route of raising a chick in this condition but on the other hand I'm such a softie and not sure I can cull it. If it comes to that, what is the most humane way to go about it?
thanks

Last edited:
Hey Jim! Welcome.
You need to do nothing extra to join this thread. If you'd like you can look at the top and click the "Subscribe" link and the thread will be easier to find.
I have not been to that farm before.
There are quite a few of us in the 58 hwy area, or close by. Look forward to chatting with you!
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
, looking forward to your progress- I've had my own flock since last May. The 'bator I saw, is back on craigslist, if someone's looking for one.

welcome-byc.gif
, looking forward to your progress- I've had my own flock since last May. The 'bator I saw, is back on craigslist, if someone's looking for one.
Thanks for the info. on the incubator. That would be my daughter asking about it, i'll pass iy along. She has one but needs (haha) another and I can't let her borrow one of mine because as soon as one empties I'm filling it up again within a few days

Stacy, we are thinking about getting a few layers to start with and maybe a couple for meat....not sure about that tho.....lol Looking at several breeds. Been doing my homework to see which one's lay brown eggs, are good layers, easy keepers....etc. Have a fenced in backyard but it's only 4 foot so they could easily fly out I think ? Looking at the ones that don't say flighty, guess that means they are more prone to fly.....not sure tho.

FINALLY!!! Some of you may remember I was waiting for the vet *Dr. hayes* to come out for NPIP.
Well, not sure if I updated but she cancelled the night before, this was the last week of Feb.,
Finally after some 5 weeks, we have another appt. tomorrow at 4pm, at least now I have some 10-15 less birds to test.

I'm super excited now because I do believe I am going to have some very nice birds, in a few months, that I will now be able to ship
celebrate.gif
,another thing I'll need to research but I have had so many shipped to me that I have a pretty good idea.

Hi everyone! I'm new to BYC and just found this thread. I'm planning on getting three runner ducks at the end of this month from Poultry Hollow. If anyone knows of any locally from a person instead of a hatchery I'd love some info.

My husband just built me a duck house in the backyard. We live in the city limits and since chickens are against the rules I figured ducks are a fantastic compromise. :)

Where can I get organic feed in the Chattanooga area?

As far as organic feed in Chatt, I organize a drop from Azure Standard each month and they carry several varieties of feed, some organic, some non-gmo project certified. www.azurestandard.com

Congrats to everyone on the new chicks and plans to get chicks! I just had my first ever incubator experience. I hatched 21 chicks: 6 LF bbs Orps 12 EEs and 3 OEs.

Jim H-
I don't know what kind of chickens you want but my opinion on good large brown egg layers and non-flighty is Black Sexlinks. My son raised these when he was young for the 4H chick chain. If you are not in a hurry to get chickens I would almost bet at the end of the Summer there will be 4H shows/auctions where you could pick up some nice pullets. The down side to them is since they are a sex link they will not breed true.

Hi everyone! I'm new to BYC and just found this thread. I'm planning on getting three runner ducks at the end of this month from Poultry Hollow. If anyone knows of any locally from a person instead of a hatchery I'd love some info.

My husband just built me a duck house in the backyard. We live in the city limits and since chickens are against the rules I figured ducks are a fantastic compromise.
smile.png

As far as organic feed in Chatt, I organize a drop from Azure Standard each month and they carry several varieties of feed, some organic, some non-gmo project certified. www.azurestandard.com
Welcome laurajean - glad you've joined us.

i can't help with runner ducks but others here may know someone.
and I must say I love the way you think about no chickens in city limits but ducks okay - lol
and thanks for the organic feed info.

Congrats to everyone on the new chicks and plans to get chicks! I just had my first ever incubator experience. I hatched 21 chicks: 6 LF bbs Orps 12 EEs and 3 OEs.

Jim H-
I don't know what kind of chickens you want but my opinion on good large brown egg layers and non-flighty is Black Sexlinks. My son raised these when he was young for the 4H chick chain. If you are not in a hurry to get chickens I would almost bet at the end of the Summer there will be 4H shows/auctions where you could pick up some nice pullets. The down side to them is since they are a sex link they will not breed true.
thumbsup.gif
woohoo, good for you on the first successful incubation experience but watch out it's highly addictive and habit forming
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom