Lhynes1478

Songster
5 Years
Sep 25, 2017
I hatched out about 30 Bobwhite quail as a first-timer a few days ago. I live in AK and the eggs shipped from Iowa taking 4 days in subzero winter temps. I got 30/43 eggs to hatch! I used the MaticoopX incubator from Amazon (amazing!!!) and now have moved them into the brooder. I used a tote, like most people, but I have dogs so I wanted to find a way to give the chicks light and ventilation without risk. I went and bought a $9 roll of meshed wire from Home Depot, some zip ties, and a large tote from Walmart and did this (photos)! Really loving the simple and cheap brooder ideas for in the home. I also LOVE the switch from using a heat lamp to a heat plate. Absolute game changer!!!

Good luck to all of the first timers out there. Keep reading and learning how to do things the best you can. I think the info on this page is why I was so successful even with detached and saddled air cell eggs that almost got frozen!

-Lauren 😄

Attachments

• 29172902-6434-40EB-B609-C498DD10404A.jpeg
    29172902-6434-40EB-B609-C498DD10404A.jpeg
    630.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 887DFADF-A088-4120-BEA5-273DA604926B.jpeg
    887DFADF-A088-4120-BEA5-273DA604926B.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 3E5C6739-2BCF-4701-94E9-5E668AE54094.jpeg
    3E5C6739-2BCF-4701-94E9-5E668AE54094.jpeg
    654 KB · Views: 29
I hatched out about 30 Bobwhite quail as a first-timer a few days ago. I live in AK and the eggs shipped from Iowa taking 4 days in subzero winter temps. I got 30/43 eggs to hatch! I used the MaticoopX incubator from Amazon (amazing!!!) and now have moved them into the brooder. I used a tote, like most people, but I have dogs so I wanted to find a way to give the chicks light and ventilation without risk. I went and bought a $9 roll of meshed wire from Home Depot, some zip ties, and a large tote from Walmart and did this (photos)! Really loving the simple and cheap brooder ideas for in the home. I also LOVE the switch from using a heat lamp to a heat plate. Absolute game changer!!!

Good luck to all of the first timers out there. Keep reading and learning how to do things the best you can. I think the info on this page is why I was so successful even with detached and saddled air cell eggs that almost got frozen!

-Lauren 😄
I raise coturnix and don't have any other pets so I'm able to leave the top of the brooder open for the first week, or so, until they start figuring out how to fly. Since I wanted to keep the top of the tote intact (in case I need to use it for actual storage at some point), I put a piece of window screen material over the top of the open tote and attach it with binder clips. Before my next hatch, I plan to actually make a couple of screens using a kit from Home Depot. Then I should be able to just put on on top of the active brooder (I rotate two totes so I can just move them into a clean one, then clean the one I take them out of).
You've got some cute babies there. May I suggest reading some of the threads about waste free feeders? I switched to one in my brooder and there's a lot less feed on the bottom. I need to build a few more for my adults so they'll quit wasting so much food, too.

Very similar to the tote brooders we've used for the last three years to raise chicks. We do the same as the poster above for cleaning, just move them into a clean tote, change out the feeder and waterer, and we're done! We've found each tote can hold about 8 chicks to about three weeks of age, then we move them outside. We line the totes with puppy pee pads and that's all we use for bedding - no dust! For heat, we hang a lamp above from a closet rod,* and keep the totes in the closet (of an unused spare room). The tote is gradually pulled out from the closet more and more to keep it from getting too hot ss the chicks mature. This last batch of chicks did very well starting at 80°F from the beginning, and we have had no pasty butt whatever!

*It's not just clamped, it's anchored with zip ties for safety.

I raise coturnix and don't have any other pets so I'm able to leave the top of the brooder open for the first week, or so, until they start figuring out how to fly. Since I wanted to keep the top of the tote intact (in case I need to use it for actual storage at some point), I put a piece of window screen material over the top of the open tote and attach it with binder clips. Before my next hatch, I plan to actually make a couple of screens using a kit from Home Depot. Then I should be able to just put on on top of the active brooder (I rotate two totes so I can just move them into a clean one, then clean the one I take them out of).
You've got some cute babies there. May I suggest reading some of the threads about waste free feeders? I switched to one in my brooder and there's a lot less feed on the bottom. I need to build a few more for my adults so they'll quit wasting so much food, too.
It sounds like you have a great set up and great plans for the future. I am absolutely still learning (especially since switching from shipped day old chickens to quail hatching eggs) so all information and suggestions are so appreciated. I will look into the waste free feeders, as that has definitely been an issue I’ve noticed these first few days! I had to hammer their crumbles down for them to be able to eat it and it’s just a giant mess. Thank you for the suggestion!!! Best of luck to you and your future chicks!

Very similar to the tote brooders we've used for the last three years to raise chicks. We do the same as the poster above for cleaning, just move them into a clean tote, change out the feeder and waterer, and we're done! We've found each tote can hold about 8 chicks to about three weeks of age, then we move them outside. We line the totes with puppy pee pads and that's all we use for bedding - no dust! For heat, we hang a lamp above from a closet rod,* and keep the totes in the closet (of an unused spare room). The tote is gradually pulled out from the closet more and more to keep it from getting too hot ss the chicks mature. This last batch of chicks did very well starting at 80°F from the beginning, and we have had no pasty butt whatever!

*It's not just clamped, it's anchored with zip ties for safety.
I’m glad to hear other peoples methods for the brooder as I’m pretty new to this! I tried to keep it as cheap as possible and as clean as possible too! I also use puppy pads, but just added pine shavings to 1/2 my brooder. I’m still not sure how I feel about it due to the dust.

I came from previously having day old chickens, and I feel like the quail have way ‘wetter’ poos. I hear a lot of people switch their quail chicks to sand due to this. It might be my next trial!

Thanks for your advice and experiences! :)

The brooder that I built. Very similar idea. I use a Titan brooder plate inside, so it is self contained, less fire risk. The only thing, is I am going to need a bigger one... I have 21 fast growing quail inside that will soon. Outgrow this space. I will need to make a pen.

Attachments

• 20230218_120930.jpg
    20230218_120930.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230218_120955.jpg
    20230218_120955.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 29

-Lauren 😄

Awesome job! I did something very similar for my first homemade brooder!! We've got a dog and 2 cats, so it was important to me that the lid still be able to latch on the sides. Glad to know great minds think alike 😉

Attachments

• brooder.jpg
    brooder.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom