CHEAP chick brooder

Thanks for the compliment! I'm too busy with my chickens to write a book!

I retired the grow-window brooder, and this year I went with an even better idea! I got new chicks four weeks ago and brooded them right in the middle of the run under a heating pad/cave system. It worked out so well, and these chicks are so tame and advanced in just about every way possible, even putting themselves into their coop every night on their own, I'll never go back to the confined brooder with a heat lamp ever again.

Seems like a trend I got a HUGE patio set box for Free form Home Depot. Greta for my six New Hampshire reds and Dominiques even at 4 weeks

Lowes only had smaller wardrobe boxes so I put two together.

Here's the heating pad brooder cave I came up with, using a camp pad for the frame since I wanted something that would insulate, and dowels to hold the pad. I think all the materials ran around $7, not including the heating pad, since you can use that for yourself after the chicks are done with it.

Scroll down please for the other photos.

Scroll some more.

Sorry about that. The download had to be done twice and these photos ended up way down in Brazil. This is what the dowel supports look like. Drill teensy holes and push the dowels through. They won't slip out if the holes are much smaller than the dowels. I drilled a set of holes to hold the pad and rack level at four inches high in addition to the position pictured here. I used a steel rack instead of this deer netting.

And I didn't use the higher position for the pad until the chicks were almost done with it. The heating pad remained three or four inches above the chicks for the first three weeks, but then they were outdoors in an average of 40 degrees at night. You can adjust the distance between the floor and the bottom of the pad by putting padding on the floor. The pad was touching the chicks backs during the first week.

A very important thing to remember is to allow for the heating pad to drape down vertically in the back of the cave so the chicks can snuggle directly against it. A towel drapes over the entire pad, creating a flap over the entrance to keep the heat in. At night I put a folded wool blanket over the top. If you're indoors, you wouldn't need all that extra covering on top.

Back
Top Bottom