cheapest roof and siding options

johnsmb

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 16, 2007
Cathlamet, WA
Still in the planning stages for an 8x8 coop. I am assuming that T1-11 is probably the cheapest siding option. It runs $35 a sheet. What about roofing - I have never shingled before, so what is the cheapest the wavy metal roofing or shingles? Or is there another roofing option? This will be just a simple shed-style roof. Thanks for any help.

it kinda depends on location but I owuld bet the metal will be cheaper...another thread going on this and I am sure there are others...one guy had some great advice

Putting on shingles is not brain surgery, if you get a good 'do it yourself' book you can certainly learn on the go, especially since it is after all just a chicken coop
smile.png

I am not sure I'd place bets on which is cheaper, as it depends on your location and personal risk/cost preferences (unless building code intervenes) with what gauge metal roofing and what purlin spacing. *Probably* metal is cheaper (although you may well find yourself wanting to insulate the underside at which point of course the cost goes back up. OTOH it is often possible to get leftover shingles for free, possibly even used plywood, which would make shingling a more appealing option...

Really I think you just have to see what you can come up with and what it would cost you.

Same with siding. There it also depends how spiff you want it to look. I mean, just plain painted 1/2" CDX plywood makes a perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned and that's cheaper than T-111; but some would prefer the fancier look.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

thanks for the help, do you put shingles straight on the plywood, or do you have to put down a sheet of the stuff - I think it is called roof felt??

I don't know what you'have' to do but I put down the liner, I had helped with some roofing years ago in Phoenix and that was just how it was done so that's how I did it.

The trouble is that the stuff is extremely expensive for such a small project so I found a damaged roll in Home Depot and asked if I could just get a section of it. They divided the cost by the foot of the roll and sold me the amount I needed at the per foot cost.

I bought just a few feet more than I actually needed and lined my slanted roof nest box roofs with the leftover. Good thing I did since the nest box roofs were not slanted enough and they still get up there and drop loads regularly!

A roll of roofing felt should not be too expensive. I would certainly put it on under the shingles, if you have ice or snow on the roof any amount of time shingles can leak.

Also, I used roll roofing, it's made like shingles but comes in a roll and goes on a LOT quicker. Just a few tacks and some asphalt cement and you're done.

When installing shingles, you need to put down roofing felt. The roofing felt is what dries in your shed/coop, then you need to install the shingles. The shingles protect the roofing felt. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Keep in mind the first row of shingles is put on upside down (the tar strip up), then lay the next row on top of the upside down shingles at the bottom edge. This will protect the roof's edge when your completed.

If you never installed shingles, it's not that hard. You just really need to do it correct the first time.

For my coop, my neighbor was throwing away an above ground swimming pool that is 4' tall, so I took it and cut 3 pieces 12' long and overlapped it about 1.5'-2' at each joint. I was in the coop while it was pouring down rain out and it was nice and dry inside.

Nothing like a free roof. All I had to purchase was the 2x4's for the rafters.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
If there are any metal buildings going up near you they throw away several sheets of scrap sheeting from every load off the truck. I was able to get 10 sheets( they are an ugly red color) from a 20' x 20' building. when the sheeting is loaded at the factory that overlap scrap pieces to cover and protect the rest of the siding. All i did was ask and they said not a problem take all the scrap you want.

We have a habit for humanity surplus building store.

They have everything pretty cheap. You might see if there's one near by.

Hi, I just installed asphalt shingles on my coop and it ran me about $26 a ream, which was enough to cover my coop. A roll of tar paper was about $11, which is enough to cover another 10 coops. If you want to make a trip out to Hawaii, I can give you my extras! *kidding* I mounted both on 5/8" plywood, which cost me about $10 (from the Home Depot scrap pile).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=20375-cottage-coop

Two considerations that I had not thought of: 1) shingles weigh a lot! I'd use it only if you aren't intending to move the coop. 2) You need to be aware of the length of the nails you use. If they are too long, they'll protrude on the inside of the coop.

Lastly, I found YouTube invaluable in learning how to install roof shingles. It's really easy once you see an expert do it. Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom