cheapest roof and siding options

remember though an additional cost of a shingled roof is that it has to be over 5/8 or 3/4" plywood (you can use OSB but not as durable in several ways, I wouldn't myself). Whereas tin just requires a couple 2x4s.

Just another thing to figure into the calculations. Even aside from 'what you can scrounge', I don't think there is a general answer because it will depend on your climate what's cheapest/best

JMO,

Pat

Singles themself are probably cheaper,but you'll need felt and plywood with it.Shingles are also heavier(much heavier)and alot of labor.

Another option is roll roofing if you want the asphalt thing.

I like painted metal the best, may cost more but last forever,less labor,quicker with screws,snow slides off,very light.Doesn't need plywood under can just use purlins. Will

I have rolled roofing on one of my coops and a tin roof on the other. There are pictures of my coops on my BYC Page.

Rolled roofing = super easy and it is the same stuff as shingles. Ours is holding up well in snowy difficult conditions, and we did it in two or three hours, three of us, start to finish. Might be what you're looking for?

one caution about rolled roofing, it is rather heavy and you will want to cut it in sections on the ground you can manage yourself without falling off the ladder. I have seen fokes try to roll it out by themselves on a garage ect and it gets out of hand easily and quickly taking it and you off the ladder. Personally I like metal roof cause it looks nicer I think and the snow slides off. Big plus here. But I do have rolled roofing on coops, ect too.

Cost is a lot about not buying it at your local hardware store and shopping around on things like craigslist or in your local paper for it. A lot of times you can get it for next to nothing because fokes have some left over and just want it gone. Usually you can easily find enough for a chicken coop, goat or dog house and it is super cheap.

For a coop sized structure, if you know anyone who's a roofer or who is in construction and *knows* roofers, you may well be able to strike a good deal (or score freebies) on leftovers.

Pat

Another point I forget to mention is that with shingles,tarpaper and rolled roofing, they absorb alot of heat. Mites and bugs like the dark,warm area under it to live. Will

I just finished my barn and have some T-111 and some red steel roofing left over. Just enough to build a nice coop.

My problem is I want the best of both worlds. I want my chickens to free range the property and want a open vegetable garden too.

Everything I've heard is the two don't mix.

Good luck with the coop.

Rolled roofing and plywood with trim on the corners. That's how I'm going to keep the cost down and make it easy. We are doing some demolition work, so I'm hoping to get framing lumber from that. Where in the world is Cathlumet? (sp?)

Back
Top Bottom