Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Been a while for me too... I have 8 hens of various ages and breeds right now. 2 Barred rocks, 1 Isa Brown, 1 EE, 2 olive eggers, 1 RIR, and 1 French Maran. The RIR and EE are celebrating their 7th birthday next week!
Are they still laying?

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Just had two broody hens for the for the first time ever (Black Cochin's). One hatched all hers (11, one egg got crushed) and the other hatched 1, crushed 3 eggs, and pecked 1, abandoning the others in the cold the last 4 days. The eggs were very cold and in 40 degree weather over night. I incubated them and they all have hatched save two, one died and the other isn't ready yet.

Images are of the first one, the broody mommas Reese (left) and Brownie (right), the second picture is of Reese's little brood in process.

All of this during the last few weeks of seminary, papers and exams and preaching.

Attachments

• IMG_20240402_131010_975.jpg
    IMG_20240402_131010_975.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240418_103230_710.jpg
    IMG_20240418_103230_710.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi!
I love byc and do look up handy info from time to time but I've been busy with my baby /family things so not had much of a minute to check out byc as often as I use too. I have still been loving my Silkies though! 11 currently. I've had quite a few hatches, sold lots. And now venturing into hatching some Araucanas, 6 shipped eggs under one of my girls a couple days ago. I'm hoping for at least 1 hen to cross with my silkie rooster. Blue eggs will be a nice addition to my egg basket!
IMG20240424170756.jpg

The coop is up to 21 ladies and one galant gent! The first 4 girls we started with 5 years ago are in their retired years now. Not an egg in sight. Each year we get a few new ladies to take up the egg laying mantle.
If my math is correct, we will quickly be up to a gazillion retirees and not near as many active contributing layers. My kids have named them all and have given up eating chicken. Trying to figure out what to do to avoid being the 100 hens and no eggs lady a few years from now! 🤦‍♀️

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi there , Im always busy running my chickens sanctuary of 165 birds by myself.... But Im still around :) With Winter happening Iv got lots to do to fix and improve all the various coops and enclosures of my beloved birds

Back
Top Bottom