Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hey everyone! We've been doing good, but we did have three losses last year. Fortunately the current flock is staying healthy and happy. We're currently dealing with all of the joys of the Oklahoma tornado season so lots of storms pretty regularly here.

I've been fighting the urge to get chicks since our coop and run setup are at capacity, but I'm loving everyone's chick photos! Keep em coming 💛💛💛

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
hey there everyone, we currently have 30 chickens which are thriving and two turkeys. The female turkey successfully had two hatchings last year and she is sitting on 11 eggs right now. The weather has been cold so I kept most of the eggs inside and was sneaking 4 more eggs into the house each night until she finally went broody. At that point I gave her 11 back which she accepted without question and put 6 in the incubator. We are coming up on the first candling, hoping our male did his job and that we got the eggs into the house before the cold damaged them. We continue to enjoy all the great information on your site.

Hey there! and thanks for the prompt to check in! I first came to this forum I think in 2022 because I had a duck with likely aspergillosis (a 1-year-old Cayuga named Vandie, my precious fat little duck queen) and I followed very closely the things/treatments mentioned in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...o-heal-a-duck-w-likely-aspergillosis.1517362/

The thieves oil mix works!

I am extremely happy to say that while she is not fully "cured", she is doing I'd say 95% better, now two years later. She still has a slight cough from time to time and has a hard time going through molts, but she is a strong girl and I'm very lucky to have stumbled upon this community to help her out! I have 5 chickens now, too and they are all quite a handful. A fun, loud, exciting handful.

Oh lots of things have been happening! We have enlarged our outside run. Have added two hatched chicks, re-homed 3 handsome roosters. Lost one of our sweet girls to heat-exhaustion. (We do have one of her chicks.) Hubby is bonding with our Roo. Girls are laying like crazy at this time. Our shy little Easter Egger Bebo is either stressed out or trying to go broody on us. Can't have broody 11 is all I can handle. The girls are doing a wonderful job tilling our orka and tomato beds. Getting ready to plant them this weekend. Time to put fresh aspen in the coop and put the old in the garden mulch. Had a sweet wild Turkey hen hang out with us from November to February. Tried my hand at glass glazing eggs, dehydrated some, and the made frozen omelets. Sorry I haven't posted or commented in a while. I do still use the feeds for great info on different subjects. Thanks for checking in on me.

Hi all!!! Doing ok. Have grown my flock and my business. Focusing on Seramas and Silkies and Polish at the moment.
Have not been around much here I do apologize. MIL had a stroke and then had 3 more so that has been challenging to say the least. Hubby is working long hours and I still work from home which means I pretty much work 4 jobs in 1 lol.

Hi there, thank you for reaching out! :) I had a very unfortunate year with my rafter.. half of my chickens got racooned. Once we caught the bugger all was well for a while. Then one evening whilst I had the turkeys out free ranging, a pack of coyotes swooped in and got ALL of my brood! It all happened so fast and quiet, within 10 minutes all of my turkeys were completely gone or dead. 6 bourbon reds, 4 norfolk black, and all 8 of my recently hatched norfolk poults.. along with the rest of my chickens. I am taking a break this year, I am still a bit devastated. Taking this season to clean out the coop and do some rearranging, as well as try to get more security. I do have 3 chickens at the moment, but the wind is pretty out of my wings right now. Hope everyone is doing well :)

Howdy!

How y'all been?!

April has been a mix of good and bad for us.
Good in that there have been warmer days.
Bad in that the warmer days have been interspersed with cold and snowy days.
Good in that our little flock has resumed egg production and 6 of 7 of them are happy and healthy.
Bad in that the 7th - one of our EE's had to be culled.

We're ALL looking forward to summer.

Hi everyone,

I've got rid of my Quails and raised some chickens now 🐓

20240303_114554.jpg

Hello, thanks for checking in. I have been well, and so has my flock of now 13 ducks 3 chickens and 2 guinea fowl.

We lost 2 chicken hens this year to a swift fox, I was so caught up in the loss of my Cayuga duck Totoro to even notice that one of my chicken hens was missing for a few weeks, Turkey was ut of the way a lot due to her being blind in one eye, so her disappearance was unnoticed, even after a head count I forgot one name. Felt terrible, I only realized after seeing her in a photo.
Soon after I stopped the foxes attempts about 3 times, the third time I chased it bare foot (didn't have time for shoes) and thought crisis averted, to realize in the morning, that my chicken hen Kiki was gone.
Started closing everyone up in the coops at night again, after getting the new coop finished. No, losses since then but 3 of the 5 ducklings from last year are drakes so it's gonna be difficult again.
I also have only 2 chicken hens and a rooster so I think I am gonna find them some lady friends who are about their age already.

This winter was wonderful, the flock had hardly any frostbite, partially due to the chickens having their own coop now, and the fairly mild winter weather. I will soon start treating the bumble foot on my Pekin duck, and make sure to get that fixed up this year hopefully.

I think that's it, this is a long post already so, have a great one and good luck everyone!
R.I.P Turkey, Kiki, Totoro, I miss you three wonderful birds! ❤️
Edited: to fix grammar

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom