Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
One of our hens was happy to scrounge for bugs as I was shoveling compost. I also gave her a couple of mice who happened to be disturbed from their compost home...never knew they would just swallow small ones whole!

PXL_20240331_003216128.PORTRAIT.jpg

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Coming to 2 years with birds. I've incubated a clutch of 5 with Silkie genes, and they were all killed one night by a weasel at 8 wks, while at the same time, a new clutch of 13 hatched. 9 hens 1 roo in one run. 5 roos by themselves, and 2 egg eaters sequestered and fertilizing a flower bed for a couple more weeks before they find their way to the pot. All in all, these homestead companions continue to teach me every day and I'm most grateful to be here with them all day.

Things are going well around here. Our chicken yard grows and shrinks with the needs of the ladies, but mostly due to the need for some weeding partners! I sure love reading what folx post but don't have the time I'd like to spend just reading posts.
Have a good day!

We also got busy! 😂 But our farm has still been growing and growing. We built a new coop with even more area for the birds to free range, and our flock has expanded to include two dozen chickens, a dozen ducks, and a turkey! We got a new Golden Retriever puppy, who loves the birds and protects them and lets them climb all over her. She's only six months old but is already so well accustomed to the birds and how fragile they are, she's so gentle and snuggly they love her too! She's never hurt any of them and I'm sure never will, though she patrols to keep hawks and other predators away. ☺️

No coop yet. So no chickens. I've tried, begged, pleaded. No coop yet. Have coyotes, possums, hawks, crows and raccoons up the yang, so it has to be sturdy. If anyone lives in Orange Va area, let me know if you can help.
I bought a run in shed for a goat and tried turning that into a coop, but it's too low. roof has to be raised, proper draft windows. I have the hardware cloth.
Been out tilling the ground. I no longer have tractor envy. LOL Planted the 25x25' square in front of the house with a zillion packets of flower seeds and bulbs.
Trying to figure out what's important.
the big field we've tilled, and will plant with something soon. have some birdseed sunflower seed in it, with wildflower seed. crimson clover, and wheat.
and a big side field to plant in....cowpeas? sunflowers?
yeah yeah, you didn't want a book. trying to figure out what's important so it doens't become overwhelming like it did last year. weeds, WEEDS and then of course, the weeds. ticks, chiggers. and watering everything. cause in virginia when it doesn't rain, which isn't often, when it doesn't, it dries out quickly.

I'm thinking I could buy concrete blocks, those kind with the hole in them, and build a coop, put the hardware cloth out 2 feet from the sides instead of burying. turn one on it's side with wire over it for a window.
but who'm i kidding? I'm an OLD city girl in the country. my fun is mowing.

Back
Top Bottom