Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Thanks for the check in inspo! I’ve been busy but always making time for my chicken 💩lol. I had my first unsolicited and successful hatch from my serama roo (rip owl got him right as they were starting to hatch 😭) and a porcelain duccle and golden seabright hen
6 in all hatched 🐣
IMG_0188.jpeg
IMG_0191.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpeg
    IMG_0214.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 3
Hi! I am currently in the middle of finals finishing up my first year of vet school! I’ve had chickens for 10 years now! Raising backyard chickens was one of the reasons I wanted to become a vet.
I currently have 3 chickens! the one in the back of the Photo is 10 years old. My family has been taking good care of my hens while Ive been at school!
image000000.jpeg

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
With over 150 different types of birds I've stayed very busy. Been a great start to the hatching season this year. Good luck to all you peeps this year

Thanks for the check in! Still have my little flock (5 ladies and 1 "I'm ALL THAT" bantam roo)
Although I've shuffled a few girls in the last year (1 rehomed, 2 bought, 3 died, 1 gifted)
Next project is to give a few eggs to a lady at my church who incubates eggs and sells the chicks. I want to see if my "little man" has actually been successful at any of his antics ;):cool:

Attachments

• IMG_7059.JPG
    IMG_7059.JPG
    957.8 KB · Views: 4
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I love this 🐓community so thanks for the nudge! I should utilize it more often, as there’s so much knowledge here! I recently added two mature hens to my flock (one found roadside and one survivor from a hawk attack that killed the rest of her flock) - oh the drama! It took almost 5 weeks to fully integrate, as I was attempting as little bloodshed as possible. Pretty successful, although there were some torn waddles 😳
Also had a nasty case of double-bumblefoot (both feet). Was my dark Brahma - a very big girl - so that probably didn’t help! For anyone interested, the homeopathic remedy Silicea had good effects.
Here’s a pic of my rescued gals! Happy spring!

Attachments

• IMG_5306.jpeg
    IMG_5306.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Hi, I have been doing great just got busy moving end of December 2023 and I'm due May 28th just a lot going on hatching out baby chicks 😊🐣🐣😊

Hello to everyone! My husband and I have had chickens for 4 years now. It was his idea to get them and I was like, what?! you want what?! :lau
Of course when they're peeps what's not to love but as they grew so did my love for them. And chicken math is a real thing so we now have 26 hens, 3 roo's and 2 chicks (and a broody sitting on 6 eggs) We have 3 separate coops so I could keep 2 roo's we hatched here at home. I absolutely love roosters! Mine are love bugs and can't get enough hugs and love from me. So, as y'all well know, keeping 3 coops and runs cleaned, watered, fed, raked, strawed, sprayed, y'all know the drill, is very time consuming. I found this wonderful group during the first few months of chicken keeping. My hubby purchased ISA's from TSC and we didn't research therefore were not aware of the reproductive issues that breed has. We lost our first girl Lily at 7 months. I can't tell y'all how many hours I spent reading posts and writing down information to help my babies when they go down and how thankful I am for this group! Y'all have helped me prolong the lives of some of our girls and prevent illness in the first place. So bless all of you for your wisdom and for sharing your knowledge. My chickens are my kids, really! We have them and a lab dog, no human kids. Either me, my hubby or both of us is broken somewhere lol! But that's ok because I get to have so many feather babies!! I don't have lots of pics but I'll share a few I do have.
IMG_20240308_123426045~2.jpg
IMG_20231221_221519699.jpg
1642433176132~2.jpg
IMG_20200521_172220756.jpg

Busy is an understatement!

I’m still working with my first time rooster Rudy. We have our good days and our moodier ones, but so far he’s been a gentleman with all other humans and is respectful of me 99% of the time. Currently dealing with a broody hen, which takes on a whole other meaning then she’s actually sitting on fertilized eggs. Sorry mama, but I’m maxed out on fluffbutts! Especially since I can’t seem to keep them out of my newly planted gardens. Why is the fresh dirt always more attractive when it has plants in it?!

All in all, things are good and the eggs are plentiful!

Attachments

• 173D5A2A-078B-40C2-AC34-7704C6E5E5AE.jpeg
    173D5A2A-078B-40C2-AC34-7704C6E5E5AE.jpeg
    618.1 KB · Views: 3
  • A58EC71C-F225-4218-9806-3C0379E35D5B.jpeg
    A58EC71C-F225-4218-9806-3C0379E35D5B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Well, I'm still tending the flock. I'm at 46 right now. My sweet Doodle (on my shoulder) passed away last summer, as well as my other little silkie rooster, Archie. They were 8 and 10 yrs old. I've now got two completely opposite roos (size-wise). One is Shorty (a little ball of a bantam cochin) and the other is Mr. FuzzyBloomers (a giant white Brahma, and such a sweet guy). Both of them are just about a year old.
I'm getting so many eggs right now, my regular "clients" who became friends can't even keep up. So I've put a sign out by the road! And some of the girls are just now starting to lay their first eggs! It is amazing, though, how many people have become good friends just by meeting over an egg sale!
I've expanded and am finishing a 3-stall unit where I can keep broody mamas and the babies I give them, and/or an isolation area for any sick girls.
I'm forever learning more and more about chickens. My husband says, "I've never thought I'd know so much about chickens in my life!" 😆
Thanks for reaching out! I always love to share stories and info about the flockin' chickens!
This photo was from a couple years ago. Even this has been changed and improved!

20200908_172106.jpg

Back
Top Bottom