Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hey guys! Been super busy lately with exams, but everything seems well with my feathery babies.

Sadly my chickens Jah, Hetty and Betty all got got by the fox. I was using one of those electronic light sensor doors and they got shut out and the fox chewed straight through the wire (medium gauge too, not the cheap stuff). That was a year ago and I’ve still not got my head round reinforcing and repopulating my run… I wonder if I ever will.

Been a while but thanks for checking in! We've lost three girls over the past year but our flock of 8 is going strong otherwise. They're all Mareks positive but I think the ones remaining are all vaccinated, so we should be ok there.
We've been experimenting with fermented feed lately in an effort to strengthen the flock and simultaneously save some cash. Becky here had water belly but it seems to have gone away on its own. Always something with these girls!

Attachments

• IMG_20240425_143511.jpg
    IMG_20240425_143511.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 3
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello everyone! We are busy clearing some woods to make a new chicken house. Our flock is doing great. We added some new hens and a new rooster after we lost our old boy.

Attachments

• IMG_5859.jpeg
    IMG_5859.jpeg
    648.6 KB · Views: 3

Hi!

I have a story for you.

Around a year ago, I made the decision to keep my chickens in their coop permanently. They had been free ranging during the day without issue and suddenly a hawk discovered them. I lost 5 in a month. I hated to do it, but the rest of the flock - 11- are safe .

About 2 weeks ago, the flock turned on my dominant hen, Red. I found her unable to walk and her comb had been pecked badly. I don’t know what happened or why. I have two coops with a run in between, so I can separate them sometimes when one is injured or sick or if I have babies. So I put her there alone - I really didn’t know if she would make it. She was laying flat on the ground when I found her. But she is a tough old girl and recovered. After a couple of days, I moved Molly, a blind hen, into the smaller coop with her. Molly and Red are both RIR and Red has “taken care” of Molly from the start. She guides her to the good stuff and nobody bothers Molly ever. She was looking a little lost so I thought it would be good company for Red. Well, Red made a full recovery and I decided to allow a supervised visit with the full flock. It was a disaster. Red flew out to the run swinging and tried to win back her dominance. She wanted revenge! I thought it might stop after a few minutes but it was clear someone was going to be killed. I stepped in and separated them again. They could see each other through the fence and kept trying to fight through it. I figured we were looking at a permanent arrangement, but was just going to take it day by day. Somehow…the flock found a way to get into the little coop and by the time I got there, they had her down again. She was hurt, but could stand. I put cardboard over the fence so they couldn’t see each other. Red and Molly are going to have to live out their lives separately. I hate it. Red has been the best hen and a great leader! She was the most social chick of the flock and was always the uncontested queen. Right now, she just seems depressed. She sits facing the wall in the back corner. Hopefully she will be feeling better in a day or two.

Amazing how these things pull on your heart strings!

It’s funny I received this now! We stopped keeping chickens four years ago when the coop was in disrepair and I was drowning in responsibilities.. but April 1st brought home new chicks and I built a beautiful new coop for them 😁 we are so happy to be back into keeping chickens!

About a year or so ago someone stole all of my chickens except for 3 special needs birds I had in a separate run and coop. Pepper Ann was one of my special needs girls, but she's fine now and became very broody. So I let her sit on some plastic ducks until I could find her some children. She's raising 4 Americauna chicks now.
That's terrible, I'm sorry. :hugs I am glad you got some new chicks, though.

Back
Top Bottom