Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hey everyone, I don't currently have any pictures but I will be sure to create a post in the near future when everything is more in order. I lost 99% of my flock last summer to a pair of rabid foxes while I was out at work. The foxes had to be eliminated for obvious reasons but luckily they left behind one of my black Australorps left, Henrietta. Once she got over the initial shell shock of losing her entire flock ( 5 Roo's and 24 other hens, a mix of Australorps, New Hampshires and Red Stars) She has been living her best life all year and has really warmed up to me and the family and has been enjoying having all our left overs and excess fruits and veggies all to herself. I currently have, now juvenile, (3) Rhode Island Reds (1) Buff Orpington and (2) Pekin ducks to start rebuilding a new mixed flock and I plan on getting a handful more Black Australorps as I just love them so much they are such a great breed. I have a 7x12 coop and my birds free range on about 5 acres, this time around I'm looking to keep my flock numbers a little more manageable per my needs, my previous flock size expanded unexpectedly. My first time around I had purchased 15 supposedly all sexed, one turned out to be a Roo, one day one of my hens went missing I thought she was taken by a predator, turns out she nested behind a propane tank, she hatched another 15 eggs 4 of which were more roosters 😂 and man that was some experience, really learned quick how to take care of my flock though, nursed sick ones back to health, learned about medications, didn't lose not one to disease or injury for 5 years until that pair of fox came around, it was a great experience for me it really improved me as a person, I'm really sad my girls and my roo's went out the way they did though I know its par for the course of the lifestyle that eventually in some capacity tragedy is bound to strike in one form or another. Anyway that's my current situation, looking forward to this year, moving the coop to a new location on the property and starting fresh looking forward to a new start this season!
Sounds like you're well on your way. We would definitely love pics.

Well we have moved and it was fun moving around 100 chickens guineas and turkeys! We are now letting the flock grow old and die since we will be busy and don't want to add onto the flock!
Hiya, Cindy!

Yikes, to move 100 poultry!!

Glad to hear things are well there. Nothing wrong with reverse chicken math and downsizing. ☺️

Busy as a beaver growing all kinds of veggies for my chickens. One of my Americana is broody on 3 eggs. Dont want too many chickens but a few extra hens would be nice. Their favorite veggies is kale!
Chicken math! "A few extra" today, "I don't count how many anymore" tomorrow :)

I was going through my now old email today and saw something like (above). I haven’t been active on here in… I don’t quite know. I honestly thought I deleted this account then. I shared my chickens with my now ex. Once we broke up we parted ways. But I’m sad to inform everyone I am going to miss my chickens especially the bantam chicken. We got the bantams and brought them to there new home/coop. One week you could tell she was overly stressed from the 13 bigger bigs and 2 roosters ( only girl bantam who’s small). She looked horrifically sick to the point of not even pooping. Fixed her up and after that she loved me. Loved her so much I bought a mug that says Faith :). No matter what she’s with me.

Loved this group. Always helpful to those who need it. #greatful #blessed
There are many folks around BYC who no longer have flocks. If you're still into chickens and need a fix, you are always welcome.

Hi. Thanks for reaching out. I joined this group after reading The Songe of If - a beautiful philosophical story about the lives of a hen and rooster. It inspired me to set up my own backyard chickens. I recommend it for anyone in the group. But because of Covid and other life changes, I've had to cut back temporarily, but hope to bring them back soon. Thanks again.
A lot of members are in similar boats. Best of luck getting your flock re-established! We're here to help.

The coop is up to 21 ladies and one galant gent! The first 4 girls we started with 5 years ago are in their retired years now. Not an egg in sight. Each year we get a few new ladies to take up the egg laying mantle.
If my math is correct, we will quickly be up to a gazillion retirees and not near as many active contributing layers. My kids have named them all and have given up eating chicken. Trying to figure out what to do to avoid being the 100 hens and no eggs lady a few years from now! 🤦‍♀️
Hiya!

Sounds like you'll need a new coop called the "Old Folks Home for Chickens." ☺️ If you want to get rid of some of them, I'd post in one of those poultry groups on Facebook for your state. You never know, someone might want a few eggless chickens.

Back
Top Bottom