Cherry Egger???

Looking to get some chicks. What's your opinion on Cherry Eggers?

Cherry Egger is a marketing name used by some hatcheries for their Production Reds which are produced by crossing red gene roosters (RIR, NH, or PR) with red gene hens (RIR, NH, or PR). They are cold hardy, non-broody, and sometimes aggressive layers that will give you 5 (sometimes 6) large brown eggs per hen per week. I'm sure someone will have a different opinion on this, but based on my experience with them, if you want an excellent laying hybrid I would go with the Black or Red Sex Links instead. Not only have my Sex Links had a better temperament (especially the Blacks which are very friendly), but they have outlaid my Cherry Eggers (6-7 large brown eggs per hen per week for the Sex Links).

My Cherry Egger was given to me by a friend. She is my very favorite hen! She is kind and FUNNY!! When others get into a little fuss, she runs over and cocks her head sideways as if to try and understand what is happening and to make them stop fussing. She is a good layer, and if I could get my hands on 20 more, I would!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom