Cheryl's Hen House...

A little more progress this afternoon. Cheryl and I got the floor framing lag bolted to the 4x4 structure of the compressor room. We also got the decking permanently attached. We sorted the framing lumber for the walls and got it all laid out so we can begin framing the walls tomorrow after work. I do love working with my wife!!

25645050880_d4ba5b185e_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Terry

Last edited:
Cheryl and I managed to get the west wall with the pop door opening framed and the back wall with 2 - 24x36 windows partially laid out after work this evening. Woodworking is one of my hobbies but framing??? Man, I have to measure and think and measure. I know it's supposed to be simple but it's not for me. Cheryl thinks I'm good at it so don't anyone be telling her any different.
barnie.gif

We have plans tomorrow night and it looks like rain for couple of days after that so likely it will be the weekend before we can get any more done other than tarp everything and wait. Pics from this evening...

25345505903_e7d21b4505_c.jpg

I positioned the pop door 12" off the floor to make sure the shavings stay in the coop and the tracks for the door stay clear of debris. It will be a metal guillotine door that can be operated from the inside or the outside of the coop.

25344410953_61c158b8f7_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Terry

Last edited:
Looking great. It looks like you are building to code (16" on center studs, etc..). That's going to be one sturdy henhouse!

Thanks! We've been on this property for 23 years so apparently we're here to stay. I'm trying to make sure that whatever we build is here to stay as well.
smile.png

One thing about building for chickens, or anything for that matter, is to use screws wherever structural integrity allows it.
Most the stuff inside the coop should be fine with screws.
Changes are much easier that way...and there will be changes.
I use deck and drywall screws for most everything, easily driven, no pilot holes needed, no brainer.

One thing about building for chickens, or anything for that matter, is to use screws wherever structural integrity allows it.
Most the stuff inside the coop should be fine with screws.
Changes are much easier that way...and there will be changes.
I use deck and drywall screws for most everything, easily driven, no pilot holes needed, no brainer.

That's a good idea. I'm blowing all the framing together with my framing gun but I will change over to screws once I get inside and begin to do roosts, feeders and such. In my woodworking shop I have been changing and modifying things for over 20 years. When I first built the shop I learned really fast that the only way to get it right is to set it up as best you can and be ready to modify as you start living and working with it. I am thoroughly enjoying the process of researching and building the coop. I'm also enjoying watching Cheryl's face light up every time she sees it getting closer.

I forgot you are already a builder of things.....what kind of woodworking do you do?...metal working too?...and cars?
Sounds like you've got the gamut of materials experience.

I forgot you are already a builder of things.....what kind of woodworking do you do?...metal working too?...and cars?
Sounds like you've got the gamut of materials experience.

My wife says that my hobby is hobbies.
wee.gif

I do woodworking, furniture building mostly. I have a fully outfitted wood working shop. I've built pretty much every piece of furniture that made sense for me to build in our house. I made all the interior doors, many cabinets and I milled all the trim. I do metal working as well and have a start on metal working equipment, welder, dry cut saw, etc...

Few shop pics.

I built the benches and storage, pretty much everything. I also built the cyclone dust collector and did all the ductwork for the collection system. As we discussed, it's taken years to get it just right. I've moved and rearranged and modified several times to get it to where it is now.

24114893225_32a6a13477_c.jpg

23819244040_ce6d500705_c.jpg

I built my bench in 2002. It's solid white oak and weighs 800 lbs. empty.

23747111479_68784bc81a_c.jpg

23747721039_cb4a9cca0a_c.jpg

This is my metal working area. It also houses the tool boxes etc...

24032293551_699c1b19be_c.jpg

24088824376_cf90ffab80_c.jpg

24114890035_8871d8f777_c.jpg

You probably noticed that we also drag race in an unusual way. lol... We have an electric powered dragster. Basically a dragster chassis with some golf cart bodywork, golf cart motor and golf cart rear end and motor, highly modified of course. We actually hold both ends of the NEDRA (National Electric Drag Racing Association) "B" voltage class (211 to 264 volts) 1/8th mile world records. The dragster run's 6.50's @ 100 mph. We also have a tricked out regular cart.

19417502371_29ca553114_c.jpg

My wife is my pit crew. She's my partner in everything I do. I love that woman!!

14889335976_213dd86fc2_c.jpg

18380826259_befe228079_c.jpg

Old school tow rig.

17750039375_9031b1ccee_c.jpg

We also garden. And now chickens. lol...
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom