Cheryl's Hen House...

That's one sweet roof line!
Overhang with HC is awesome for ventilation and will shield window too.
I'd have gone farther off the back and side too....to protect double windows and HC'd gable too.

That's one sweet roof line!
Overhang with HC is awesome for ventilation and will shield window too.
I'd have gone farther off the back and side too....to protect double windows and HC'd gable too.

Thanks!! I was a slave to the existing building's overhang. I would have liked to have done more but the conformist in me just couldn't do it.

It looks fantastic! I love the amount of permanent ventilation you put in. I'm considering using hardware cloth for the soffits on ours in order to provide more ventilation too, but this is a fantastic plan for vents. Great job you guys!

Yeah, I can see keeping the one side matching the compressor room.
But you could still push out the gable overhang...excellent for gable vents, protect pop door....
...and it would look good!

I considered more overhang. It certainly would have looked good but decided not to. The outside wall matches what is on the other side of the compressor room.
big_smile.png
I have the symmetry thing really bad. I will be doing some of the soffit vents in that little upper angle wall as well. Never had any rain come in them on the compressor room so hopefully that will continue here. The 8x18 run will attach to the end wall and half of it will be covered so there will be protection for the pop door.

Last edited:
It looks fantastic! I love the amount of permanent ventilation you put in. I'm considering using hardware cloth for the soffits on ours in order to provide more ventilation too, but this is a fantastic plan for vents. Great job you guys!

Thank you! We are pretty pleased with how it's turning out. Once everything is trimmed and painted it will hopefully be cute and functional. I enjoy researching so I've read and watched videos probably way too much. The first thing I figured out is that there better be a ton of ventilation.

Quote: haha....and I have a thing about roofs with no overhang, hate them, fugly and unfunctional...take a look at My Coop page, added overhangs to my coop shed.

Ah, the partially roofed run will take care of the overhang function <thumbsup>

I also wanted to say that when we were growing up we always had chickens along with a few head of cattle, horses and Old Jack the Mexican burro. My mom always loved her chickens. Back then there was little to no thought given to the coop or run. It was just some fencing with a pitiful little building that gave them minimal shelter. She will soon be 89 and has lived in our neighborhood for the past 7 years. I think she is more excited about us getting chickens that we are. She came down on her golf cart today and spend several hours just hanging out with us and talking about having chickens. Needless to say she thinks we are a little nuts for going to the lengths we are going just for chickens.
wee.gif

She's very anxious...a little too anxious in fact.. for us to actually get the chickens.
lau.gif
Anyway, I just wanted to share the story. It was great to see her so excited.

Back
Top Bottom