Cheryl's Hen House...

Pics
The first night in the coop is in the books and everyone survived...even Cheryl and I.
lau.gif
Appears that they've mastered the feeders and the HN waterer.

We did find a home for our roos. Appears that 3 out of our 4 Marans are roos.
th.gif
Still not 100% sure on the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. I'll post some pics later over in the what do I have here section.

Awesome!!

It's so fun to see them in their deluxe, (no longer quite so) pristine accomodations! I can't believe how big they've gotten!

I hope you can get more Marans some day. They have such great personalities, and the dark eggs are so beautiful.

Also, I wanted to give you a warning about your feeders. They are wonderful, but I have read about other people's chicks getting into them and getting stuck and suffocating. I guess there is a size they go through where that is possible, and then once they are too big to fit in there, it's safe again. You might want to consider covering them up and using different feeders until they get bigger.

They look so happy! And so does Cheryl! Happy mothers day to the chicken mama!

When you do get the run built, make yourself a nice spot to sit nearby with a great view. Chicken tv is no joke. It is addictive. We are literally planning to build a couple picnic benches withing sight of the run specifically for the fun of watching the chickens.

They look so happy! And so does Cheryl! Happy mothers day to the chicken mama!

When you do get the run built, make yourself a nice spot to sit nearby with a great view. Chicken tv is no joke. It is addictive. We are literally planning to build a couple picnic benches withing sight of the run specifically for the fun of watching the chickens.

Yes, yes, I put a little folding stool in the run that I hang up so the chickens don't poo on it but then I forgot one time and well...instant poo!

Thanks everyone. @Finnie I had not heard that about the PVC feeders. Yikes.

I did post my suspects over in the what gender am I thread and 4 out of 6 of the chicks that we bought from the local hachery appear to be roos including the gorgeous Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.
th.gif

26628577860_48b884037b_c.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks. I actually broke out the camera instead of using my phone. I wanted to make sure that we had good pics even though I don't particularly like what the good pics reveal. The Wyandotte is the total bummer and the most concerning. He was one of the two at Mom's house. I feel sure the other Wyandotte is a pullet. They keep to themselves and if they become separated the pullet just howls until she can fine the roo. They pretty much stick to the fraidy box and even try to defend it against the others but they all do use it. I haven't seen the Wyandotte pullet drink from the waterer but she seems fine so I'm sure that she is. Would feel better if I actually saw her drink. I'm considering removing the box to see what happens.

Quote: I'd give them a couple days to acclimate....then maybe remove the box to force more mingling.
Or sooner, depending on when the cockerels are leaving.
Where'd they all sleep the first nights?
Could always do a mix and match after dark on the roost...chicken juggling!

It's hard to know what's going on unless you can spend a lot of time watching them...gotta be frustrating.

I'd give them a couple days to acclimate....then maybe remove the box to force more mingling.
Or sooner, depending on when the cockerels are leaving.
Where'd they all sleep the first nights?
Could always do a mix and match after dark on the roost...chicken juggling!

It's hard to know what's going on unless you can spend a lot of time watching them...gotta be frustrating.

The Wyandottes slept inside the box. Everybody else was outside the box on the floor. No one has ventured to the roosts yet. Not sure they are even aware of them at this point. Cockerels are leaving next weekend.

Quote: Might want to be proactive in getting that Wyandotte girl mingling before you remove her buddy.
Are they all eating together from the same feeder?
Seen any animosity between the 2 group members?

I'd start putting them all up on the roost/board, and let them figure out how to get down, under supervision this evening after work.
If they can get down fine, then put them all on the roost well after dark, mixing the Wyandottes in with the others.
Use a flashlight or headlight and shine it off to the side or up, they're pretty docile once it's full dark and they are settled in.
They'll squeak a bit, but if you hold their wings to the body and make sure to get their feet under them on the roost then slowly let go, they'll stay put.
I've found it important not to shine the light along a path they may want to take, if they can't see they won't likely move.

Not sure if you've been feeding any treats and grit yet...but treats can be a great equalizing distraction.
A little chick scratch(my mill has chick starter-grains ground pretty small with chick grit added) might be a good way to get them to mingle more.

Just some thoughts.

Might want to be proactive in getting that Wyandotte girl mingling before you remove her buddy.
Are they all eating together from the same feeder?
Seen any animosity between the 2 group members?

I'd start putting them all up on the roost/board, and let them figure out how to get down, under supervision this evening after work.
If they can get down fine, then put them all on the roost well after dark, mixing the Wyandottes in with the others.
Use a flashlight or headlight and shine it off to the side or up, they're pretty docile once it's full dark and they are settled in.
They'll squeak a bit, but if you hold their wings to the body and make sure to get their feet under them on the roost then slowly let go, they'll stay put.
I've found it important not to shine the light along a path they may want to take, if they can't see they won't likely move.

Not sure if you've been feeding any treats and grit yet...but treats can be a great equalizing distraction.
A little chick scratch(my mill has chick starter-grains ground pretty small with chick grit added) might be a good way to get them to mingle more.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have given them a hand full of scratch a couple of times since they have been in the coop. They are eating and drinking from the same feeders/waterer. No animosity between the groups. They mingled better yesterday than Saturday. The Wyandottes are pretty skittish in general and stick right together. I'll put them all on the roosts tonight and see what happens. I have a little night light in the coop that I can use to see that is pretty noninvasive.

Back
Top Bottom