Chick barely alive! Pecked to near death! Help!!!

Miizki

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Just found a chick in my coop and all the other chickens pecked it! Please help! It's barely alive and it's bleeding. A lot of it's down is missing under it's wings and on it's neck. I know it will most likely die but what can I do to try tohelp the little guy live!?!?

Last edited:
I'll pipe in before the experts get to your post. Separate (obviously, sorry). Keep snuggy warm, temp with tasty food... egg, fruit, anything to stimulate the chick to live. Perhaps attention from you as she sits in your hand.... talk to her etc. so she doesn't feel alone in the world and simply fold up her cards if she doesn't need to.

I wouldn't put anything strong on her wounds.. hydrogen peroxide, iodine etc will hurt the skin badly. If messy, try warm water to flush dirt out. But if not, I wouldn't mess with her too much.

Poor little thing, good luck!!

Ok thanks I have her in my house under a heat lamp. I'm afraid she's gonna die. Her wounds are so brutal and some of her skin is missing. I hope she can live I feel so bad like it's my fault.
hit.gif

Keep warm clean only as necessary and try giving scrambled eggs, yogurt but don't forget grit and maybe some vitamins in the water hoping the little one makes it keep us updated

you can put neosporin without pain relief on its wounds, and dissolve 1 baby asprin in a gallon of water, and give it that for the pain. you're going to have to keep it seperate from the others, now that its injured. I would set it up in a little container alone, with a heat source. (100 watt light from a lamp will work in a pinch) If it chirps from being lonely, try adding one of the less aggresive chicks with it, but watch closely, if it starts to pick on it you'll have to take it out. You may want to offer some yogurt, or scrambled eggs to help it get its strenght back up. Poor little baby! I hope it makes it!
fl.gif

Just to add: the chick just hatched today because it's eyes aren't open yet and it can't walk

hugs.gif
Awww, I'm sorry for your chick & for you. But don't blame yourself, unless you were pecking at it too. These Things Happen. Sometimes for a good reason, a chick might already be weak or lacking & the other chicks know it & bully it to death. Chickens also can have a surprising capacity to rally & recover from seemingly overwhelming injuries. The best you can do is provide the optimal conditions for it and leave the rest to the chick & Ma Nature. Seclusion, warmth, comfort, good food & water. Try adding a little sugar or a few drops of baby vitamins (without iron) to its water, offer it some minced scrambled egg.
fl.gif
And pray!
fl.gif
You have the right to set your own limit as to how long you'll let it go and if you'll need to help it Cross The Road if it seems to be suffering. There are other threads on how to humanely & quickly euthanize a hurting chick, or we can give you advice on this thread. I'm praying for a miracle for your chick!

How old are the other chicks who pecked it? How did this chick hatch today in your coop, do you have a broody hen? Newly-hatched chicks are born with their eyes open, but they don't get their land legs and start to walk for a few hours after hatching, they need to dry off & sober up so they can stand straight & walk without tipping over. A chick that is more than a day old who cannot walk and has its eyes shut sounds like it has some other problems, and would certainly be a target for bullying.

Back
Top Bottom