Chick Days are coming at the feed store!

The Chicken People

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Smithville, Mo
I am getting excited about seeing and hearing all the little fuzzy butts!
What breeds are you adding this year?
How many chicks will you get?
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Probably 25 Isa Browns, but I'll order them from TownLine. I love getting the post office phone call. The feed store over charges for chicks and I don't necessarily trust that kids haven't stressed them too much by messing with them, even though they aren't supposed to. But, I'll look at chicks there, when I go. You never know.

i was thinking about geting chicks at our feed store. what should i look for when picking them out?? I am going as soon as they come in. I have a friend that works there. so i hope they wont be really stressed. they will arrive on March 9th. i have only had chickens since August 2010 so any help would be great. thanks.

Ahh! I'm excited
big_smile.png
We buy our from Bowmans Feed store, and last year none of them were stressed or sick. We're buying 6 chicks, some silver wyanadottes, golden comets, and then see about any other when we get there. March 3rd!
wee.gif

Fred's Hens :

Probably 25 Isa Browns, but I'll order them from TownLine. I love getting the post office phone call. The feed store over charges for chicks and I don't necessarily trust that kids haven't stressed them too much by messing with them, even though they aren't supposed to. But, I'll look at chicks there, when I go. You never know.

Things sure must be different in your area!!! The chick prices at TSC, Orschleins and Southern States in my area are very fair compared to ordering from hatcheries. Add to that the cost of shipping and insurance and the feed store prices seem downright cheap.

As for the stress factor, our "feed store" chicks were very healthy and we only lost one out of twelve at a few days old. Granted they may not meet the "conformation standards" some people on here demand but we are very happy with our "feed store" girls. They are very good layers and have become very sweet pets we really enjoy. I just can't see us wasting the extra $30 + dollars for shipping just to get the same quality hatchery birds. After all, the feed stores order from the same hatcheries we can order from.

I guess there only two reasons I can see to mail-order chicks. One is to get an unusual breed the feed stores don't carry. The other is to order "show quality" chicks direct from specialized breeders.

I daresay most of us backyard chicken people are more interested in having affordable fun pets and good eggs than royal linage.

Larry​

Well I just got my first chicks yesterday. We were/are so excited. We got 8 little cuties:

2 - Rhode Island Reds
2 - Buff Orpingtons
2 - Barred Rocks
2 - White Leghorns

I was the first to purchase from our feed store (I got there an hour early and they felt sorry for me and let me come in before opening) and had them home by 8am ish. By noon I notice one (White Leghorn) kinda hanging off my herself and sleeping a lot. Every hour I went out to check and no change. We went to bed at ten and I was up every two hours to check on her and by 4am I couldn't sleep I was so worried. I did some reading here looking for tips, went out at 4:25 and she was gone
sad.png

My husband knew I was so bummed he said he was going to home depot for wood for the big girl coop and came home with not only another White but 2 Black Australorps!! While I'm sad about the little girl that didn't make it, I was quite happy to see the two new girls.

The ten babies are all alert, playful,eating and drinking very well. I hope nothing sneaks up on us and that we can watch all these girls grow up to big fat healthy layers!

P.S. These are our first chicks/chickens - wish us luck!

I am hoping to add about 15 to 20 new hens this year!
I have 17 eggs in the bator right now and one is trying to hatch on Day 20!
These are from our RIR Roo and BSL and RSL hens!

Last edited:
I'm going to have to somehow stay away from our feed store. I already ordered 5 chicks and thats my limit this year. Unless of course I can convince my hubby to expand the coop into the tool shed that it's attached to. I wonder if a batch of chocolate chip cookies will do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom