Chick days @ Tractor Supply

Just a little warning from my experience. I'm sure all TSs are different, but the one we went to a few days ago (Russell/Ashland, KY) already had their baby chicks and ducks in. The kid in charge of chick grabbing knew nothing about anything. Sexes, breeds, care, nothing. That didn't bother me too much because I already know myself, but I'd feel bad for any truly newbies looking there.. Also, 6 was the minimum purchase for ducks this year. He said they hardly sold any because no one wanted that many. I did, though, so we came home with 6. The selection was very poor, both chicks and ducks. All were straight run, of course. They had Red chicks and Buffs, I believe, and mutts. Supposed to have banties, which is what I was going to get, but they didn't have any there. The ducks were all mixed together. There was a sign showing what breeds MIGHT be in there, but there was no guarantees. I know my ducklings and saw that of the 7 or 8 breeds listed, only 2 or 3 were there. Almost all mallards. Also possibly Rouens and Black Swedes. I asked the kid to pick out mostly Swedish, but he only grabbed me one. I didn't want to cause a fuss, so I accepted it. My other 5 are either mallard or Rouen. Hard to tell at this age, of course. Really hoping for Rouens, so I don't have any migrating issues, but seeing their poor selection, it's pretty obvious they're going to be plain old mallards..
Going for chicks in a few days. Going to try our local TS here in OH, though, or our local feed stores which I know have chicks in now. Hoping to find some good bantams.
Anyways, just thought I'd share my experience for those looking at the ducklings. Carry on!

When I went to TSC for Bantams, I didn't even ask the lady that helped me if she knew anything about the chicks. I had already scoped out the bin and even though there were only a few left I saw immediately that 2 were Silkies. So I got the 5 (all they had so I didn't have to buy the 6-chick minimum) and I have definitely 2 Silkies and a Gold-Laced Cochin. The other 2 are yellow with white feathers coming in-- one has feathered legs and one doesn't. One's a light reddish tint and one is light bluish.

Going by my previous "success" I'm hoping to get 1-2 pullets out of the 5. Probably one of the white ones, which are my least favorite. Isn't that the way it works?!!!!

haha alienchick I just went to my tsc and got my first ducklings last week. I also just got my first motorcycle last month. I'm definitely a crazy biker chick. Lol

I just called my store and they are selling till the 14th of April.I may swing by next week and see what they have left.I got leghorn and rsl pullets back in 2009.

My our TSC register right beside where the chicks are they have a chart and it shows all the breeds they can order for you if you don't see what you want. As Shaybaby was saying I'm from the Ashland/Russel area myself and they know nothing, but are friendly. Last time I went the bins were FULL! Kind of makes me wonder whats going to happen to these 'left overs'. :(

Hello There!

Chick days will start early for North Carolina stores this year!

February 9th is the arrival date for the first batch!
wee.gif

Stores will receive multiple shipments weekly.

The first week will be one of the largest shipments the stores will get!

Hello There!

Chick days will start early for North Carolina stores this year!

February 9th is the arrival date for the first batch!
wee.gif

Stores will receive multiple shipments weekly.

The first week will be one of the largest shipments the stores will get!

Back
Top Bottom