Chick disappeared

13Bettys

Songster
Mar 7, 2017
Pinson, TN
I went out this morning to check on my 4 1/2 week old BSL chicks, who are in the main coop with an uncovered run attached, and one is gone. No feathers, no tracks (it rained hard last night but there is a covered area before the coop with dirt) and no signs whatsoever of attack or escape. Any hypothesis? I'm a newbie and don't really want anymore "disappearances"

Hi, i've had the same problem last year, they were about 4 weeks old they were out side in there own little pen that was completely enclosed by chicken wire, and one of them just disappeared. so if there was to struggle or anything my guess is that she/he must have found a way out, i'd check for any hole they could get threw and cover em' up.

What type of fencing do you use? and how old are they? if there small enough they can squeeze right through normal chicken fencing the lil' buggers!

Last edited:
They are 4 1/2 weeks old. It's chicken wire.

Huh! well how bout' it, well dont know what else to tell you, i'd keep an eye out for him/her see if its hiding or trying to find its way back into the coop
idunno.gif

I went out this morning to check on my 4 1/2 week old BSL chicks, who are in the main coop with an uncovered run attached, and one is gone. No feathers, no tracks (it rained hard last night but there is a covered area before the coop with dirt) and no signs whatsoever of attack or escape. Any hypothesis? I'm a newbie and don't really want anymore "disappearances"

Winged predator? Probably able to fly off with 4 week old chick.

I always lost my favorite chicks about that age. I finally figured out it was the neighbors cat. My own cat will sit next to a peeping chick that's newborn and not mess with it, neighbors cat keeps coming around here though looking for birds or any type to get. I have Aviarys as well as chickens.

My dogs have learned what "Get the cat" means. Unfortunately they also think it pertains to our cat too.

Back
Top Bottom