Chick Dragging her leg? Updates of Negu. *New Update (7/6) Pg 5. Pictures added!*

Greetings, unfortunately that does look and sound like a birth defect. I had pheasants last year and one of the chicks had the same problem. The chick was hopping around, eating and drinking for weeks, but it eventualy went to the great coop in the sky. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a vet tech to see if there was anything i could do to help / save the bird but there is nothing you can do for it except hope for the best. Clearly you are a kind soul for wanting to help this bird and I wish you the best of luck.

Negu got a treat today, an egg. She had a blast eating it. She loved it so much I could have lost fingers over it!
gig.gif

New pictures of Negu!

Last edited:
Greetings, unfortunately that does look and sound like a birth defect. I had pheasants last year and one of the chicks had the same problem. The chick was hopping around, eating and drinking for weeks, but it eventualy went to the great coop in the sky. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a vet tech to see if there was anything i could do to help / save the bird but there is nothing you can do for it except hope for the best. Clearly you are a kind soul for wanting to help this bird and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Did your chick die on it's own or did you decide to have her euthanized? Sorry about your chick.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Aww, hope she gets along okay! Happy feet sounds like a perfect name!

Her name is actually Negu (Never Ever Give Up). I was going to name her Happy Feet, but once I realized how determined she was to survive, I soon realized that she deserved the name Negu.
smile.png
Thanks for your support.

Welcome to BYC, by the way.

Last edited:

It's probably to late to change much at this point, but have you felt up in the hip area to see if it is dislocated? I had a chick come to me that had all ligaments torn in his "hock" I put a 90 degree foam pipe insulator(I bent it open more so that it wasn't 90 degrees anymore 45 degree would have been better). It held the leg in position so that he could use it. When he would walk (without the brace) his leg would not come back forward it would bend totally the wrong way. I attached a very loose spring to the top and bottom of the insulator so that when it stretched out the spring would pull it back. This gave him the opportunity to walk. Its worth a try only cost a couple of dollars at the local hardware store. I actually took the chick (Forrest Gump) with me to the hardware store to fit him with his brace. The employees were more then happy to work with me on this project.

Last edited:
My chick died on its own, it slowly got worse and eventually was unable to move around. I tried to hand feed it and put water where it could reach it but still no luck. It looks like your little guy is doing well so far, keep up the good work and loving care and best of luck to you both !!

It's probably to late to change much at this point, but have you felt up in the hip area to see if it is dislocated? I had a chick come to me that had all ligaments torn in his "hock" I put a 90 degree foam pipe insulator(I bent it open more so that it wasn't 90 degrees anymore 45 degree would have been better). It held the leg in position so that he could use it. When he would walk (without the brace) his leg would not come back forward it would bend totally the wrong way. I attached a very loose spring to the top and bottom of the insulator so that when it stretched out the spring would pull it back. This gave him the opportunity to walk. Its worth a try only cost a couple of dollars at the local hardware store. I actually took the chick (Forrest Gump) with me to the hardware store to fit him with his brace. The employees were more then happy to work with me on this project.

Now that's a good idea! Thanks so much for sharing! That may actually work for her! I can still bend her leg where it is suppose to be, keeping it there is the problem. Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes. Did you have to keep that on your bird forever, or did he get better and you eventually removed it?

No, he got strong enough not to need it. He would probably have more stability if he had it on, but he was starting to hate seeing me coming and it was getting pretty hot on him. He still walks very awkwardly, but well enough that he can get away from other roosters, but doesn't have the balance to breed anything so his life is spared...
smile.png
Originally he had two bad legs, the other leg got very strong with the "braces" on.

Back
Top Bottom