Chick Entertainment - Question

cfbandme

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
N. Central Iowa
We have 4 day old chicks in our brooder - and as a first time chick-mamma I'm a little worried. We recieved an "extra" chick with our order and she seems to be picked on by our other 12 RIR's. I wonder if I can put things on the floor of the brooder for them to play with or investigate during the day to keep them from picking on each other. There's plenty of room to run around and explore, but nothing on the floor except for their feed and water. Can I put twigs, pine cones, etc. around for them to play around? Thanks!

You can put toys in as long as you clean them. Since they aren’t used to the great outdoors yet they may be prone to diseases. I know that when you chicks get older you can put birdseed on a pinecone. It’s fun and a snack! But wait until they are older to do that

Thank you! Both my husband and I work during the day and I'm afraid that the chicks are just bored :) I have to admit I thought I'd be more relaxed about raising baby chicks, but I can't help but worry now!! - I can't imagine my Grandmother worried too much about her spring chicks enjoyment years ago :)

If your ground isn't still frozen, go out and dig up a big clump of sod - weeds, grasses, roots, little twigs, bugs and all - and put it in there. This does a few things. It gives them early access to the same ground they'll be living on when they go out. It's a good early exposure to the microbes and pathogens out there and helps them build up their natural immunities. It gives them something to play on - they climb it, fly onto it, play King of the Mountain on it, and as it breaks down they dust bathe in it. They get small bits of grit that are just their size.

At first they'll huddle in a corner staring at it and cheeping like crazy! This big, dark alien has invaded their space! But gradually one or two will go peck at it, and the rest will follow. I've done this with every single batch of chicks I've had, from the first batch of indoor heat lamp raised chicks to the subsequent batches brooded outdoors in the run directly with Mama Heating Pad.

If you just can't bring yourself to bringing dirt into the house, then those great big marbles are usually a huge hit. They're shiny, and when they peck at them they move. It's like a chickie soccer game in there! Hang a suet cage with cut up apples in it from the side. Yes, you'll need to give them a little chick grit, and they'll gorge themselves on it, so be careful adding it. I would just scatter it in the bottom and let them have to scratch and dig for it, just as they will as adults if they free range.

Anything you can do to stimulate them and let them mimic adult behavior will help a lot. Be creative! Use your imagination!

My chicks are 2 days old and mom took them outside. So I think the grass/sod idea is great.
MVIMG_20180503_075250.jpg

I actually bring a plug of dirt, grass, roots and all. It's great enrichment value AND allows them to build immunity to things in your soil while their immune system is still strong. In addition it gives them some natural grit. And yes, pine cones and other items to inspect should be fine. I'm the opposite of the person who stated your birds may be prone to disease... UNLESS you got a vaccination that you specifically need to wait for it's development, like Mareks. I also use marbles and colorful kids toys. But the polka dots on t he walls are the greatest hit for me thus far.

Also, paint or use marker to put tons of tiny polka dots on the brooder walls. My chicks wake up in the morning and go work building things. :love

You should have pine shavings or some other bedding on the floor. They will dig around in it. I'm not a fan of treats... though it's a good suggestion for cooped up birds in the winter... too many people over do treats and diminish nutrients. Seeds are high fat.

Good luck! :)

That sounds like an AWESOME idea! I had our chicks vaccinated at the hatchery and haven't been expoused to anything except their brooder box since I picked them up - I worried about "dirty things" but I like the idea of their systems becoming accustomed to the grass, dirt, etc. they'll be living on! When I get home I will start with a little clump of grass, dirt and all and see what happens. Thanks for the great ideas!

We have 4 day old chicks in our brooder - and as a first time chick-mamma I'm a little worried. We recieved an "extra" chick with our order and she seems to be picked on by our other 12 RIR's. I wonder if I can put things on the floor of the brooder for them to play with or investigate during the day to keep them from picking on each other. There's plenty of room to run around and explore, but nothing on the floor except for their feed and water. Can I put twigs, pine cones, etc. around for them to play around? Thanks!
Put in half a cabbage, see what happens!

I actually bring a plug of dirt, grass, roots and all. It's great enrichment value AND allows them to build immunity to things in your soil while their immune system is still strong. In addition it gives them some natural grit. And yes, pine cones and other items to inspect should be fine. I'm the opposite of the person who stated your birds may be prone to disease... UNLESS you got a vaccination that you specifically need to wait for it's development, like Mareks. I also use marbles and colorful kids toys. But the polka dots on t he walls are the greatest hit for me thus far.

Also, paint or use marker to put tons of tiny polka dots on the brooder walls. My chicks wake up in the morning and go work building things. :love

You should have pine shavings or some other bedding on the floor. They will dig around in it. I'm not a fan of treats... though it's a good suggestion for cooped up birds in the winter... too many people over do treats and diminish nutrients. Seeds are high fat.

Good luck! :)
We have pine shavings as bedding for them - I noticed they started "scrathing" at it yesterday that's what made me wonder if I should be stimulating them with other natural items in the brooder already - they seem so small - but are curious little things too!

Back
Top Bottom