Chick hatched with some sort of deformity? (warning: mildly graphic photos)

lavendermarie

Songster
May 12, 2022
I haven’t been on this site in a while, but today I had a chick hatch with what appeared to be blood on it’s head, but upon further inspection was much more concerning.

This little guy hatched under one of my broody hens. When I picked him up for the first time I’m 99% sure I could recall seeing a part of one of his eyeball’s exposed, but after I came back a few hours later (I though leaving him to see it his eye’s would open on their own would be the best course of action, apparently l I was wrong) it appeared as if skin was completely grown over his eyeballs.

At this point I am at a loss for what to do. I’d hate to have to cull him, we’ve never had to do that with a chick before. But I don’t think his quality of life would be very good even if all other functioning beyond his sight wasn’t impaired. Is there anything I can do to try to get his eyes open? Water or some other sort of thing? Or would that just make it worse? He seems fine beyond the issue with his eyes (and obviously the lack of fuzz on his head), though I’m not sure how long that could last. He stands up just like the other chicks, which for a less than 24 hour old chick is all you can really look out for.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• 05C3BC71-32F5-486B-A158-980B5381B483.jpeg
    05C3BC71-32F5-486B-A158-980B5381B483.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 649C1406-9F0E-4599-B356-CB1B654F15DB.jpeg
    649C1406-9F0E-4599-B356-CB1B654F15DB.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 23
  • A2F7AAEF-EFBD-46F0-B08B-0DE056168DFF.jpeg
    A2F7AAEF-EFBD-46F0-B08B-0DE056168DFF.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 24
I haven’t been on this site in a while, but today I had a chick hatch with what appeared to be blood on it’s head, but upon further inspection was much more concerning.

This little guy hatched under one of my broody hens. When I picked him up for the first time I’m 99% sure I could recall seeing a part of one of his eyeball’s exposed, but after I came back a few hours later (I though leaving him to see it his eye’s would open on their own would be the best course of action, apparently l I was wrong) it appeared as if skin was completely grown over his eyeballs.

At this point I am at a loss for what to do. I’d hate to have to cull him, we’ve never had to do that with a chick before. But I don’t think his quality of life would be very good even if all other functioning beyond his sight wasn’t impaired. Is there anything I can do to try to get his eyes open? Water or some other sort of thing? Or would that just make it worse? He seems fine beyond the issue with his eyes (and obviously the lack of fuzz on his head), though I’m not sure how long that could last. He stands up just like the other chicks, which for a less than 24 hour old chick is all you can really look out for.

His head looks pretty bad, but that could be from all the blood stains. Are you able to clean him up a little? Dried blood is pretty hard, so perhaps a gentle cleaning might help. I would use a warm wash cloth to gently wipe his head and maybe a little saline to help break up the dried blood.

Im very sorry, but I think many chicken people are in bed. Unfortortunately, since I wish I could help more, all I can do is say, on quick evaluation, that it looks like an adhesion of the nictitating membranes (third eyelid membranes). These third eyelids have normal functions including cleaning the eye of dust, etc. In cases where this membrane is persistent and refuses to move into normal position a good vet can remove them, with very good outcomes (no lasting detriment to the chicken). But lets make sure we can't make those retract first by themselves. I am not completely familiar with this condition-- so in a few hours, more knowledgeable people will be on-board to answer.

It might be a good idea to give the little guy some B12 too if you have any available. If not, perhaps some sugar water instead to keep him going. Has he gone towards the water/tried drinking?

His head looks pretty bad, but that could be from all the blood stains. Are you able to clean him up a little? Dried blood is pretty hard, so perhaps a gentle cleaning might help. I would use a warm wash cloth to gently wipe his head and maybe a little saline to help break up the dried blood.
I think I’m going to try to clean his head up a bit in the morning to see if it helps any, as long as no one gives me the advice not to. And thank you for this! This has been helpful.

Im very sorry, but I think many chicken people are in bed. Unfortortunately, since I wish I could help more, all I can do is say, on quick evaluation, that it looks like an adhesion of the nictitating membranes (third eyelid membranes). These third eyelids have normal functions including cleaning the eye of dust, etc. In cases where this membrane is persistent and refuses to move into normal position a good vet can remove them, with very good outcomes (no lasting detriment to the chicken). But lets make sure we can't make those retract first by themselves. I am not completely familiar with this condition-- so in a few hours, more knowledgeable people will be on-board to answer.
Wow! I had no idea this condition existed. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention I am going to look into it. And yes, I figured a lot of people here would be asleep right now but figured I’d give it a shot regardless. Hopefully as people wake up I get some more responses.

Thank you so much for your help! It means a lot!

It might be a good idea to give the little guy some B12 too if you have any available. If not, perhaps some sugar water instead to keep him going. Has he gone towards the water/tried drinking?
That’s a good idea! I’ll do this as soon as I can. And he hasn’t gone towards the water or food or anything, but neither have any of the other chicks as they aren’t even 24 hours old yet. So it may be too early to tell if that’s an issue.

Thank you for your replies and your ideas! I really appreciate it.

Wow! I had no idea this condition existed. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention I am going to look into it. And yes, I figured a lot of people here would be asleep right now but figured I’d give it a shot regardless. Hopefully as people wake up I get some more responses.

Thank you so much for your help! It means a lot!
You're very welcome. I definitely would not like to be stuck overnight with nothing to go on at all. So glad to help out. :) The next thing to try would be a simple eye dropper loaded with water, try to gently wet or loosen anything keeping this little guys eyelids shut, and see how you go. Could be something as simple as that. But if it is congenital, then you still have options. A good avian vet will be able to look at him and know straight off.

But happy that I could help even a tiny bit. :)

You're very welcome. I definitely would not like to be stuck overnight with nothing to go on at all. So glad to help out. :) The next thing to try would be a simple eye dropper loaded with water, try to gently wet or loosen anything keeping this little guys eyelids shut, and see how you go. Could be something as simple as that. But if it is congenital, then you still have options. A good avian vet will be able to look at him and know straight off.

But happy that I could help even a tiny bit. :)
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom