Chick hatched with some sort of deformity? (warning: mildly graphic photos)

I haven’t been on this site in a while, but today I had a chick hatch with what appeared to be blood on it’s head, but upon further inspection was much more concerning.

This little guy hatched under one of my broody hens. When I picked him up for the first time I’m 99% sure I could recall seeing a part of one of his eyeball’s exposed, but after I came back a few hours later (I though leaving him to see it his eye’s would open on their own would be the best course of action, apparently l I was wrong) it appeared as if skin was completely grown over his eyeballs.

At this point I am at a loss for what to do. I’d hate to have to cull him, we’ve never had to do that with a chick before. But I don’t think his quality of life would be very good even if all other functioning beyond his sight wasn’t impaired. Is there anything I can do to try to get his eyes open? Water or some other sort of thing? Or would that just make it worse? He seems fine beyond the issue with his eyes (and obviously the lack of fuzz on his head), though I’m not sure how long that could last. He stands up just like the other chicks, which for a less than 24 hour old chick is all you can really look out for.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thank you.
An update for everyone who replied to this thread in an effort to help, unfortunately the chick passed away the following afternoon. I appreciate everyone’s help with this, thank you guys!

An update for everyone who replied to this thread in an effort to help, unfortunately the chick passed away the following afternoon. I appreciate everyone’s help with this, thank you guys!
I’m sorry, I’m sure you did what you could. Unfortunately, these anomalies always seem to pop up at some point, but there are always answers here 🙂

I haven’t been on this site in a while, but today I had a chick hatch with what appeared to be blood on it’s head, but upon further inspection was much more concerning.

This little guy hatched under one of my broody hens. When I picked him up for the first time I’m 99% sure I could recall seeing a part of one of his eyeball’s exposed, but after I came back a few hours later (I though leaving him to see it his eye’s would open on their own would be the best course of action, apparently l I was wrong) it appeared as if skin was completely grown over his eyeballs.

At this point I am at a loss for what to do. I’d hate to have to cull him, we’ve never had to do that with a chick before. But I don’t think his quality of life would be very good even if all other functioning beyond his sight wasn’t impaired. Is there anything I can do to try to get his eyes open? Water or some other sort of thing? Or would that just make it worse? He seems fine beyond the issue with his eyes (and obviously the lack of fuzz on his head), though I’m not sure how long that could last. He stands up just like the other chicks, which for a less than 24 hour old chick is all you can really look out for.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thank you.
Wet warm cloth with touch of salt
And apply to head not eyes see if it comes off
I think the inner lining had stuck to him with the blood.

Back
Top Bottom