Chick isn't growing

Good news, she was pecking in the feed tin!
Great!

She doesn't really tuck her head when she isn't sleeping, and there's not much of a tail to be able to tell it it's drooping.
Yes, it can be hard to tell about tails on chicks. That detail is much more obvious on adult chickens. I'm glad she isn't looking too bad at present. That's a good sign :)

Can you change to a 20% all flock or 20% chick starter?

I had one lagging behind and after a switch she showed improvement in a few days.
I have a cinnamon queen that is 2 months and she has a sister who looks much bigger than she does all the others chicks I have are much bigger. I do know chicks grow at different paces depending on the breed but she’s in with 4 other cinnamon queens 3 are a week older than her and her sister is the same age as her, then I have two black chicks with brown stripes on their chest haven’t figured out what they are, then I have a brahm, white leghorn, and another brown grey chick with grey hair around her ears that I have no clue what she is either but the cinnamon queen I’m talking about is very small. Not sure if she’s eating enough. Though she’s always near the feeder?

I have a cinnamon queen that is 2 months and she has a sister who looks much bigger than she does all the others chicks I have are much bigger.
Sometimes "look bigger" is just due to some having fluffy feathers, and sometimes it means an actual size difference. I find it helps to pick them up and see how they feel. Even without a scale, my hand can tell if one is much heavier or lighter than another.

Not sure if she’s eating enough. Though she’s always near the feeder?
You could try feeling crops. If her crop is always much emptier than the others, then she probably does need to eat more. If her crop is usually about the same amount full as the others, there is a good chance she is eating enough.

Another thing to watch is whether she acts as energetic as the others. A chick that sits in the corner and does not move much is usually a chick with problems.

I have a cinnamon queen that is 2 months and she has a sister who looks much bigger than she does all the others chicks I have are much bigger. I do know chicks grow at different paces depending on the breed but she’s in with 4 other cinnamon queens 3 are a week older than her and her sister is the same age as her, then I have two black chicks with brown stripes on their chest haven’t figured out what they are, then I have a brahm, white leghorn, and another brown grey chick with grey hair around her ears that I have no clue what she is either but the cinnamon queen I’m talking about is very small. Not sure if she’s eating enough. Though she’s always near the feeder?
I will try to change to 20% chick starter feed.

Sometimes "look bigger" is just due to some having fluffy feathers, and sometimes it means an actual size difference. I find it helps to pick them up and see how they feel. Even without a scale, my hand can tell if one is much heavier or lighter than another.

You could try feeling crops. If her crop is always much emptier than the others, then she probably does need to eat more. If her crop is usually about the same amount full as the others, there is a good chance she is eating enough.

Another thing to watch is whether she acts as energetic as the others. A chick that sits in the corner and does not move much is usually a chick with problems.
No she is very active. But yeah I will feel her crop and see if she’s eating enough. Thanks for the advice.😁

I have a chick just like this from tractor supply. It is 6 weeks old and the size of two week old bantam. Still no feathers really. I'm afraid it is a failure to thrive situation.
Yeah I try not to get my chicks from there. I had 10 shipped to me and two died within the first 24 hrs that I got them even though I had warm sugar water and electrolytes for them. The other was 7 weeks old😭that broke my heart. So get them from a better place.

I have this same problem, but it’s a buff orpington. She’s smaller than the rest but she’s still doing good at 4 weeks old. She wasn’t as energetic as the others, but she seems to be improving each week. Everyone had told me she was failure to thrive, I had my doubts about it, I just think mine was a runt lol.

Try using Rooster Booster Vitamin and Electrolyte.
9B22A1F8-249F-4CC6-B602-2663864E1DC8.png

B890F168-5715-4CB2-9080-3223C0D5FCB1.jpeg

We got some new chicks from Rural King last week. They are all approximately the same age, give or take a day I'd reckon.
We noticed about yesterday that the Golden Laced Wyandotte just isn't growing like the others. She's noticeably smaller, and her feathering is behind. The others started getting tail feathers two days ago, and she has none. She also has fewer wing feathers.
She isn't being picked on by the other five yet, and scratches around as she pleases.
She did have pasty butt this morning, so we took care of that, but we noticed she wasn't quite as energetic and curious as as she had been previously.
She is the one on the bottom in the picture. She is with a Buff O and a Marans here.
Any one know why she's so small and losing energy?
Her poop is normal, they have medicated feed. They are unvaccinated.
Got 2 BR, olive egger & EE 2/28 from TSC, both BR were smaller, gave babies mix of pinch of sugar, yolk, wet crumbles, feeding BR first. Finally at 12 wks BR are bigger than the other two!

Back
Top Bottom