Chick may have broken neck? Slobbering and shuffling backwards.

Shananagan25

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
So I have 12 chicks, about 4 weeks old. The bigger ones enjoy jumping into the edges of their box and roosting since they are inside and not outside. I have a feeling that one may have cluelessly jumped down on this smaller chick. She has been acting strange lately. She still eats and was drinking water from a spoon tonight but she drools when I hold her and she opens her mouth a lot. As if yawning so I though maybe she was a choking. She also keeps her head down under her. I can hold her head up so it doesn’t bother her too much but she can’t keep it up. Wne fell asleep every few seconds when I was holding her. When she is sitting though, she will shuffle backwards and turn her neck left and right while it’s upside down underneath her. I’m thinking it’s a broken neck, neurological problem but I don’t know what to do and these threads have helped me in the past so I was hoping somebody could come up with something. Thank you!!

Poor little one. Keeping him/her in my prayers. It could be mechanical, as White suggested above, but I am wondering if it could be a weird manifestation of wry neck? Do you have any NutriDrench or Sav-A-Chick solution? The problem could be caused by a deficiency in one or more essential vitamins/minerals. Put a drop directly into her mouth if you have the NutriDrench. The video will probably help, but please do try some emergency support solution for him/her right away if you have it. If not, make sugar water with some dissolved salt so the baby can get some basic electrolytes and not get hypoglycemic due to inadequate intake.

Back
Top Bottom