Chick not growing

Alabama Jack

Songster
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
Huntsville, Alabama
We ordered 77 chicks and received week 1. We had a little girl that didn't stand out from the crowd, but realized a week later that she wasn't growing. Week 2, we received a second shipment of 26 girls. We put her in with the second shipment after they were here for 1 day. She was almost the same size. We've since incorporated the week 2 shipment with the week 1 shipment. She eats, drinks, poops etc. but now is smaller than the week 2 shipment. Week 2 is growing tail feathers, and she isn't.

We got large laying girls from Meyers and did have a "meal maker," but otherwise, no bantams were indicated in the order.

She now stays to herself and somewhat follows the flock. If this is not genetic, is there something we can do to boost her back into growing? If it is genetic, what is the prognosis?

I was going to post the same question. I have a WC Polish that doesn't seem to be growing much. She interacts with the other chicks a lot and eats plenty. I was hoping it a genetic thing and not a health problem. Looking forward to seeing the responses.

The prognosis isn't hopeful. This chick of yours has genetic abnormalities that prevent it from utilizing the nutrients in its food for development. At best, the chick is inefficient in its body functions and will probably never reach full size. If it's a pullet, it may never lay. At worst, it will sicken and die soon.

It's called "failure-to-thrive". It's very sad when you get such a chick. I've had two in ten years. One made it through to around four months with extra nutrition (Poultry Nutri-drench and special food such as boiled egg and tofu) but it got nailed by a predator. The other was more recent, and she was sick from day one and got so sick I euthanized her at age two weeks.

You can try to save it with extra feeding and the Nuti-drench, but the odds are against your chick. I've sworn an oath to myself to cull any future chick I get that is failure-to-thrive. It's very heartbreaking to try everything you can to save a chick only to watch it get sicker by the day instead of better.

Hope the chicky lives a good life with the time she has left better yet grow to be a normal healthy chicken. Hopefor the best for your girl!

Good news, she's survived now for two months. She seems to be thriving now. She's still a little slower than the other girls. We call her 'baby' and she sings back at us when we call her. She is definitely different, but doing well. Still not sure if she may be a he. She looks like a Rhode Island Red, which was in our order, but has black tips forming. She's still about half the size of the others.

IMG_20170529_180253724.jpg

Back
Top Bottom