Chick obsessively pecking others. Doesn't seem aggressive?

MikailaF

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2022
I just recently brought home six 3-day-old chicks which are now a week old. Since the day I brought them home, one chick has been constantly pecking all of the other chicks. She doesn't seem to be doing it aggressively though. The other chicks don't seem to be too bothered by it, but the behavior is non-stop. Should I be concerned? Or should I do anything to try to stop the behavior? Or is this normal?

Chickens communicate and explore by pecking, more than likely that chick is also establishing her dominance in the pecking order, also very normal. Chicken thinking is different than human thinking. Determining their position in the social order is important to them. If all the chicks seem fine and it is just pecks, I would not worry.

Chickens communicate and explore by pecking, more than likely that chick is also establishing her dominance in the pecking order, also very normal. Chicken thinking is different than human thinking. Determining their position in the social order is important to them. If all the chicks seem fine and it is just pecks, I would not worry.
Thanks I appreciate your reply! I was just unsure, because the other chicks will peck each other sometimes, which seemed normal. But the one chick pecks the others constantly throughout the day, which I thought seemed odd.

I just recently brought home six 3-day-old chicks which are now a week old. Since the day I brought them home, one chick has been constantly pecking all of the other chicks. She doesn't seem to be doing it aggressively though. The other chicks don't seem to be too bothered by it, but the behavior is non-stop. Should I be concerned? Or should I do anything to try to stop the behavior? Or is this normal?
I have one doing exactly the same. It's only 4 days old. While most of the others do it occasionally, this one does it all day, like going from one to another. It has me worried. I'm so worried one will end up hurt. How did your situation turn out? Did the behavior eventually stop.

Back
Top Bottom