Chick pecking other chick

DelR

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
So I put a silkie chick in the brooder this morning, and another one in this afternoon. The first silkie will non stop torment and peck the other one. We tried dividing the brooder into 2 but they’re getting through. I’m worried the one will peck the other to death. Help!!

Baby chicks often do this. One will fixate on something about the other one and injuries often occur. It needs to be stopped. Fortunately, it's not that difficult. Here's an article with some tips you may find useful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/

This past spring I had a problem with a chick pecking vents and causing significant injuries. I thought hard and came up with a couple of diversionary toys. One is a tennis ball with red dots drawn on it with red felt marker, and the other is a piece of weather stripping "noodle" stapled onto a block of wood with bright red duct tape bands. They worked to draw the chicks' attention away from chick vents.

The secret is to fashion a "toy" that resembles what the chicks appear to be fixated on. A fuzzy tennis ball may resemble somewhat a chick and the red dots will certainly hold their attention. The chicks really seemed to like playing with the noodle.
P1010007.JPG

Baby chicks often do this. One will fixate on something about the other one and injuries often occur. It needs to be stopped. Fortunately, it's not that difficult. Here's an article with some tips you may find useful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/

This past spring I had a problem with a chick pecking vents and causing significant injuries. I thought hard and came up with a couple of diversionary toys. One is a tennis ball with red dots drawn on it with red felt marker, and the other is a piece of weather stripping "noodle" stapled onto a block of wood with bright red duct tape bands. They worked to draw the chicks' attention away from chick vents.

The secret is to fashion a "toy" that resembles what the chicks appear to be fixated on. A fuzzy tennis ball may resemble somewhat a chick and the red dots will certainly hold their attention. The chicks really seemed to like playing with the noodle.View attachment 2419255
Thank you! I took some of the advice I saw and taped up 4 CD’s with the shiny side facing them since I don’t have a mirror. They were pecking at it and seemed to be stimulated. I also drew some dots on the cardboard and they enjoyed that at first but who knows. Thanks for the advice! I’ll try more things in the morning if this doesn’t work :)

Back
Top Bottom