Chick Scratching Eye?!

Cow Chips

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2016
Clayton NM
image.jpg
Yesterday I lost a 1-week old Brahma chick from what I can guess was failure to thrive. She was the only one who hadn’t grown and constantly had pasty butt even with cleanings and Vaseline.
This morning, I woke up to a Jersey Giant chick, same age, who is trying to scratch her eyelid. I thought it was something neurological until I picked her up and checked. I separated her, cleaned the eyelid as gently as possible with saline solution and Microcyn; she’s lethargic, so I’m guessing I have two different problems on my hands.
For future reference, has anyone dealt with anything like this and what other suggestions do you have to keep her comfortable? I’ve lost chicks before but this is the first time I’ve dealt with one scratching their eye.
Picture of her in her separate box with a heating pad in a quiet space (my bedroom). She’s at least opening and closing the eye.

Where do you have the brooder? Is it anywhere that possibly smells musty? Do you have an adult flock? Have any of your chickens had signs of eye or nare discharge? Have you listened closely to the chick's breathing? Is it quiet or are their unusual sounds such as crackling or whistling?

If this chick is acting lethargic, you may be dealing with something more than an eye injury or irritation. But if that is, in fact all you're dealing with, then you're doing the right thing for it.

Thanks for the reply!
Brooder is in our shop away from the adult chickens. I keep them separated until about 5 weeks old. No musty smells or anything out of the norm. Everyone else is healthy and avoiding me even though I handle them daily, multiple times.
This little one is isolated in my room in the house. Quiet breathing, no mucus or discharge or any sign of sickness besides the lethargy. But I just *know* something is up! That’s why she’s isolated for the moment.

Is she pooping? If so, does she strain and peep loudly while pooping?

What have you been feeding? Anything besides chick crumbles? Have you had the chicks on wood shavings? What kind are they? Pine or cedar?

Any sick adult chickens lately?

She did poop and it looks normal. No blood, not runny, just...poop.
Only chick crumbles.
Pine shavings in the brooder box.
No sick adults; the one yesterday died and I had her isolated in a separate box. Threw that box away just in case.

Did you hatch them, get them at a feedstore, a breeder, or a hatchery? Look for any mites or lice, any bubbles or swelling in the eyes. Is there any gasping or sneezing? Can rinse the eye with saline? If you have Terramycin or plain Neosporin Ointment, I would put a dot in the eye twice a day until she is better. Chickens are bad to peck each orther or get pine shavings in their eyes.

They are TSC chicks (yes, I know!)
I did the saline wash with ointment this morning. It seems to be the lower eyelid, not directly in the eye. Still, poor thing is scratching but it nearly as often as this morning.
Haven’t seen any signs of lice or mites but I can go check again. And again.
What mite/lice treatments are ok for chicks this young?

Thank you all for your help! I’ve stalked this site for years and appreciate all of you.
It seems like her eye is a little better. Hasn’t tried to scratch it for a while but I do notice labored breathing. Not wheezy, but her neck is outstretched.

Back
Top Bottom