Chick waterer

RosieR

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hey everyone, trying to set up a bigger brooder for this next hatch. I was just thinking how much of a pain the water is to keep clean.
I have no issue using little lids or whatever for the first days but I’d love something that will stay clean at the least for a day.
I offered a bottle with a horizontal nipple on it last time as that’s what my birds use as adults, but it was too hard for the chicks to operate.
I’m wondering if vertical nipples would work better?
What is everyone doing?

The biggest problem is them getting wet and dying from cold rather than drowning i found while they were chics.

I usually got a small waterer with marbles. Most of them died when i tried to make my own waterer with a bottle and plastic lid.

Its best to use the right equipment to increase mortality. The water with the marble in it was really good no worries about it getting dirty. Unless they poop in the water.

When mine were about four days old, I switched over to bottle waterers, kinda like this:
waterer.jpg

I just put marbles in the bottom to the point they couldn't fully step in it or get their heads under water, and I had very little trouble keeping bedding out of it (as long as it was high enough; they had to stretch a bit those first few days). I switched to nipples once they had the strength for them.

Back
Top Bottom