Keeping water unfrozen for very young chicks

imacowgirl2

Songster
Apr 11, 2022
south central IL
How does everyone keep fresh unfrozen water available to their very young chicks? Our older birds use heated horizontal nipple waterers but that isn’t an option for the little guys. We have about 20 chicks ranging in age from 1 day to 5 weeks old and I’m not sure how to keep their water from freezing in their outdoor brooder. We usually start out chicks on vertical nipple waterer but our last big one broke a few moths ago so we’ve been using a regular chick waterer all summer — would a vertical nipple waterer with a tank heater in it stay warm enough to keep the nipples from freezing? Daytime highs in 40-60* range, overnight lows dipping into low 20s some nights.

What heat source are you using for the chicks? If they have a heat lamp, you can put the water close enough to stay thawed.

Since the days are above freezing, you might just give them fresh warm water at sunup each day. By the time the water cools down, the day will probably be warm enough to keep it from freezing. Of course this method will have problems later in the year when the days get colder, and it does require you to be available each morning at the right time.

I don't know enough about nipple waterers to address that part of it.

I made up a heated cookie tin if you like diy. But I'm sure they sell them also.
There's lots of diy videos of different styles on you tube.

Edited to add. This will trigger it on and off at freeze temps.
Screenshot_20231101-102833.png

Last edited:
would a vertical nipple waterer with a tank heater in it stay warm enough to keep the nipples from freezing? Daytime highs in 40-60* range, overnight lows dipping into low 20s some nights.
No, and it's not because the water inside the tank isn't liquid. It's because most of a vertical nipple's toggle structure sits outside of the waterer itself, so the ambient cold temperatures outside the waterer will freeze the nipples at around 32F.

You're probably going to have to run water out several times a day, or put a heat lamp over it specifically to warm the waterers up, or

ranging in age from 1 day to 5 weeks old
I'm confused. How is it staying 90-95F in one part yet the water is freezing? It must be subzero almost there!

I'd get one of those heated waterers. Farm stores and Amazon sells them. For the 1-day olds, I'd put marbles in the water tray so they don't step in and get wet, then freeze, or drown.

I'm confused. How is it staying 90-95F in one part yet the water is freezing? It must be subzero almost there!
The answer is in these bits:

Heat source is a heating pad, no heat lamp.
Daytime highs in 40-60* range, overnight lows dipping into low 20s some nights.

The heat pad can provide one warm place for the chicks to sleep, and to warm up when they are cold. Having the rest of the pen at those temperatures can be fine for the chicks, but of course the water does freeze and that's what OP is trying to address.

Back
Top Bottom