Chick with leg issues

poultrycrazy

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
:)
I hatched chicks and one hatched under a hen and its toes are crooked wich i have dealed with before and theyve turned out fine. BUT this chicks leg is like pushed back and he cant walk... He can move it and everything and i can put it in place but it just goes back to were it was. So its kinda like spraddled leg but instead of going beside him it behind. What can i do to help him?

Thanks

I had a chick born exactly the same way. First of all, I taped the toes so they'd splay out correctly, then I taped the legs with a band-aid. The toes: after a couple days of taping, I removed the tape (first-aid tape) and the toes were perfect. They've been perfect ever since. Now the legs: after I removed the band-aid from the legs (I only had them taped for about 5 days at the most), they were perfect for about 4-5 days, then they started to slowly go back to the way they were. I tried re-taping them, but by then the bones were too stiff and the chick was too big. She stumbled all over the place and kept getting her legs twisted up underneath her, then falling on her face. It was heartbreaking to watch. So, I took the tape off and she's now 4 weeks old and in terrible shape. She can barely get around and she peeps all the time. I'm pretty sure her days are numbered. If I could do it again, I'd keep her legs taped for as long as possible (1 1/2-2 weeks) just to ensure the legs stayed the way they were supposed to. Now I'm afraid we're in culling territory. The poor thing is miserable and I don't think there's anything we can do.

Good luck with your chick. The sooner you get to taping, the better, in my opinion. And stick with it!!

Summer

Back
Top Bottom