Chick with Sprawled legs...What do I do??

chickengal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
I have two day old chicks with sprawled legs. One is worse than the other one. They were not sprawled yesterday, but today it looked like one was doing a split. I had them on pine shavings and was using a dog crate as a brooder box. Even with the pine shavings, they seem to be slipping on the bottom of the crate. I took the shavings out and put paper towels down and then added the shavings on top. It helped a little, but I finally took them out and put them back in the bator. Their feet seemed to get a better grip on the cloth that I put them on in the bator. I tried to use a band aid as a sort of splint, but they couldn't stand up. Help! What should I do?

Thanks!
I tried using the band aid like they said and the chick just laid on its back and couldn't stand. When I took the band aid off it pulled feathers out of it's legs. I was afraid it would die just laying on its back. I just tried some string. We'll see how it works.

You may also want to try vet wrap, I have Silkie's and it is so much easier to use it dosent pull feathers,Its easy on easy off.

Back
Top Bottom